1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Who's using what salt?

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by whyamisofly, Nov 16, 2017.

1. BrianH

BrianH Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member

What do you use to lower the alk?

2. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I’ve been using predominantly Insatant Ocean and also Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

whyamisofly likes this.
  3. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

I am an Instant Ocean guy as well, but maybe a little different reason. I find that when I was buying expensive salt I was LESS likely to do weekly water changes because I would not want to use up all that expensive salt so quickly (I seem to remember buying a 160 gal bucket of Salinity in LFS for ~$100 once). With IO I buy a 200 gallon box of mix for $50, which works out to .25 cents per gallon. If I do a 30 gallon WC that would be $7.50 per week. As an example the Brightwell NeoMarine that is on sale for Black Friday is $62 for a 150 gallon box, that's .41 cents per gallon to make, my 30 gallon WC comes out to $12.40. The more expensive that salt gets, the less likely I am to do a weekly WC. I don't know, maybe I am just really cheap!

whyamisofly likes this.
  4. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Instant ocean here. Works pretty well, cheep and consistent. I’ve tried others but keep coming back to it. Never had an issue.

5. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Muratic Acid. It is cheap, easy and reliable. You do have to mix and aerate for a day or two extra to drive off the excess CO2, but nobody should be using a salt because of alk content - it is easy to take up and down - whereas calcium is not so easy.

For standard strength Murtaic, gallons * desired dKh drop * .123 is the number of mls of Murtic acid to use.

BrianH likes this.
  6. verlanst

verlanst Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Fritz RPM