Will enough pods survive a transfer for a Mandarin?

I am consolidating my tanks soon and I am going to transfer the rock from my current tank to the new one and I am just wondering if all of the pods that my Mandarin has been eating will survive the switch. Obviously I don't want to starve the Mandarin, but he is awesome and I don't want to sell him if I don't have to. So, will the pods just hitch a ride into the new tank on the rocks and keep on reproducing? I know that since it is a new tank the nutrients will be low so that is my biggest concern.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
they will, but id be prepared to seed it with a kit of pods from algaebarn or someone similar in case of parameter swings causing them to wipe..

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are pretty tough. Get the water in both of your tanks as close as you can (salinity, nutrients, etc.) and you should be just fine.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
majority of them will survive. I just re did my tank and the fuge is still full of pods and I can see them running around the rock stack. I of course did supplement by dosing pods dhortly afer I re set the tank up. My pair og dragonettes, scooter blenny and pair of leopard wrasses all munch the pods in between feeding times and they are all doing great as well.

How long have you had him? Has he started eating frozen foods yet? Even if some pods do get lost in the swap, I wouldn't get rid of him, just try some frozen foods. I know when I was short on pods in the DT, my mandarin started eating meaty stuff from the frozen blend(elite reef) that I feed to the other fish. Just make sure to turn off any power heads when trying to get him to eat frozen foods. They don't move that fast and won't chase after the foods you are trying to get him to eat.