Will this skimmer work?

i purchased a reef octopus skimmer that they rated for 250 and BRS recommends for a 160g tank. I bought it from BRS for a 120g tank. At the last minute I decided on a 225g from DSA. needless to say I opened the box to measure it for a sump. So BRS will not let me return it despite the fact that it was with in the time period and it has never seen water. (lesson learned). So i will finally get to my question. Will this skimmer work for a 225 or should I just try to sell it? if I do sell it what would be a fair price for it being that it is new? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-classic-200int-8-internal-protein-skimmer.html

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That will mostly depend on your bioload. I had a skimmer rated up to 120 gallons on my tank with 100 gallons of volume. Worked great until my bioload exceeded the skimmer's capacity, then I had to upgrade.

Depending upon your planned stocking and alternative forms of filtration you may be using, it may be fine for you. Hopefully someone who has used that skimmer can chime in, but if you keep the bioload low and plan on using chemical filtration (gfo, biopellets, etc) and/or biological filtration via chaeto in your sump, that skimmer may be plenty.

I do not plan on having a fuge and I do plan on loading the tank up down the road. I will be running gfo and carbon and maybe put some ceramic media in the sump. So I am guessing that I may need to upgrade. Would it be a better idea to sell the skimmer new or use it for a while then sell it when my tank gets more lof a load?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I really liked my RO skimmer. You could try to sell it, if you can't get your money back out of it, use it as long as you can before needing to upgrade.

I completely agree accept there is one big flaw in that... I went ahead and bought a new skimmer! So will sell the one I have currently.

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I actually have the recirc external version of that skimmer on my 210 and it is amazing. I have had a couple different skimmers and I love this one. It is just really tall.... Not a bad thing.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have a question here. How does one determine when a bioload is too big for a given skimmer?

I've been giving my LifeReef VS2-24 some sideways glances lately. It is working fine and skims well (clean/dump the cup about once per week) but is rated rather high for a fairly small skimmer. It's rated for 250G and is on my 150G DT/25G sump (175G total.)

Fish:
Sailfin Tang
Yellow tang
3 bluegreen chromis
flame cardinal
2 banggai cardinal
female (lonely) squareback anthias

Various SPS Acro/Monti and LPS GSP, frogspawn.

Parameters are rock solid and very low-nutrient. Everyone seems fat and happy.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
When your N and P levels go up even though you are being responsible about feeding and load (not going too fast). Most people are not responsible and blame the skimmer for not keeping up. That LifeReef is superior to any NW that I have ever seen in action. I would not sweat it.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;345007 said:
When your N and P levels go up even though you are being responsible about feeding and load (not going too fast). Most people are not responsible and blame the skimmer for not keeping up. That LifeReef is superior to any NW that I have ever seen in action. I would not sweat it.
Also make sure you keep your skimmer clean. If you're running a refugium and get algae on the inside of the skimmer where the bubble column forms, the performance will take a hit for sure.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
N & P are rock solid (tested twice weekly since the tank is only 4-months old) at zero. Skimmer is squeaky clean but I'm about ready to replace the pump with a Mag-12. The original 9.5 failed early and the Eheim 1262 isn't doing it justice.

[attachment=68710:name]

The refugium is built but has not been fired up yet. Maybe that's another task for the weekend.