Wrasse questions!!

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay peeps so I have a question. I have my Red Sea max and I would like to get some some wrasses for some color.
First question I would like to add a yellow and green corris wrasse, would I have any problems with the two fighting? And if not its a large enough tank for a leopard wrasse right? Only going to have 3 fish at most. Lots of rock and places to hide! Thanks for the help!

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most of the RSM's are 34 gal (a little larger then a biocube 29).

Juan - Please don't quote me, but I am pretty sure a yellow coris wrass isn't really a coris, it's a different type of wrasse. I would think if you were to put them in there at the same time, you'd be ok, but with any fish, you could end up with 2 that fight.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes it is a 34g tank and thanks for your input Alan. Unless I hear anything negative from someone I think I will give it a try and if I have to, sell the yellow one. Also think I will ask this on R2R.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what I've read, suggestion is 50 gallon min. Take it with a grain of salt, no FHE...

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just a heads up...and I'm sure you know this already, but those green coris wrasses get fairly large and might outgrow the tank quickly.

IMHO, if either one stays long term, the yellow coris might be the better option. I picked one up for my 28g nanocube about a year ago, and he was a tiny juvenile when I got him...like maybe an inch and fairly skinny. He's now easily 3.5 inches and fat...his activity level is pretty high too and he paces the glass at night and is getting a little more aggressive due to the lack of space. He needs a bigger tank already, and will be moving into the new build. Just my .02.

Overall he's ok with other wrasses...he chased a hogfish out of the tank, but has gotten along with 2 fairy wrasses that I've added after him...he's just a bit territorial right before bedtime and during feedings in that small of a tank.

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
I have a yellow coris and a six line, the yellow coris is the nicest fish in the tank. six line is another story, i think the yellow would work perfect!

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
The three wrasses you mentioned get pretty big and in a 34g they'll probably become pretty territorial and aggressive. You might check into possum wrasses. They're not as active so don't require a whole lot of space, they're very docile, and pretty cool.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm hoping for the green corris mostly I just like them more and a leopard.... Hmm ill have to rethink this and check out possum wrasses I guess...

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Jaun, Add the leapord first, they are not aggressive IMO and are very shy, they hide in the sand most fo the time so youll want to let him get established before adding any other wrasses.

I added my leapords (I have 2) first, then about a week later I added my candy hogfish and then melanarus. The hog fish gave the melanarus some trouble at first, but the mel quickly got tired of it and put him in his place. All 4 now swim together for the most part and there is no aggression from any of them.

Your gonna have trouble with the leapord eating frozens though, for weeks mine would only eat live brine, once they got around other fish that were eating my special frozen blend they took to it as if to learn from the others.