Glass tank without silicone

Does anyone know of any manufacturers that build large tanks without the silicone on the inside? Looking at purchasing a used tank. It’s tall 30+ inches and wondering how safe that is in the long run. Should I “reseal” it and add that extra layer of silicone?

This is not the tank, just for reference

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Never heard of any doing without the inner seal of silicone. Never tried without but I think that would have potential to leak quite a bit.
Resealing is easy enough and you could make the line pretty slim on the seal, but I wouldn't want to go without it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

NickP

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I could be wrong but to my knowledge the inner layer is only to protect the silicone between the glass. Red sea tanks and IM tanks do not have this added protection, the silicon is just between the glass. I own both brands.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I could be wrong but to my knowledge the inner layer is only to protect the silicone between the glass. Red sea tanks and IM tanks do not have this added protection, the silicon is just between the glass. I own both brands.
That was my understanding as well.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
As far as I can tell from looking at the Red Sea tank at school Nick is correct. There is no bead of silicone inside the tank only between the glass.