Another tank?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So we’ve go a few tanks laying around the closet and we’re thinking about another tank. Yes I know we have a few at school but hey why not diversify. This one would be out of character as it would be smaller, but we’re looking for feedback and ideas. We want to set up a frog fish or anglerfish tank. We were thinking of doing softies and macroalgae with a small sump for the skimmer. Let me know your thoughts. We already have some mollies acclimated to saltwater and we’re hoping to get a breeding population to act as a food supply.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
You know my experiences with Edwardo the Anglerfish. I think they are fantastic, and would be really interesting for students and staff to watch. You already hit on some of the issues, constant live food source, low flow since they aren't good swimmers. They also have a relatively short lifespan in captivity, I read usually 2-3 years. I say do it, I bet it will become the mascot of the school in no time!

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
You know my experiences with Edwardo the Anglerfish. I think they are fantastic, and would be really interesting for students and staff to watch. You already hit on some of the issues, constant live food source, low flow since they aren't good swimmers. They also have a relatively short lifespan in captivity, I read usually 2-3 years. I say do it, I bet it will become the mascot of the school in no time!
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!

We can as soon as you’re done using it as your quarantine! Don’t rush the process though.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Realistically, this can’t really happen until the new year.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Realistically, this can’t really happen until the new year.

Since when do we care about realistic?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you sure that you can keep perpetual a-holes (AKA Teenagers) away from a venomous fish? It is like once they know, they won't be able to rest until they try and touch it... some of them anyway. I only have daughters, but most teenage boys are like this to me...
View attachment 17981

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Are you sure that you can keep perpetual a-holes (AKA Teenagers) away from a venomous fish? It is like once they know, they won't be able to rest until they try and touch it... some of them anyway. I only have daughters, but most teenage boys are like this to me...
View attachment 17981
Not really worried about this. The spot I’m thinking of for the tank is in my room to avoid these types of behavior. If we do decide to put it in a common area we will make sure it is not easy to access for students.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
New favorite idea.

We can put a bunch of baddies in there and have a self serve first aid station next to it.