Apex help

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I updated my apex firmware. Then went and did web then went and updated every module that is listed. When I log into my apex app it states I have 4 modules out of date can you help me

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Hopefully I’m misunderstanding. When you go to the Apex Fusion interface and select the list of modules, you see some that still say they need to be updated? Mine below currently say OK under SW revision:

View attachment 14498

If it says it’s out of date, you could try individually pushing an update to that module. Select the module from the list. Should bring up the following screen:

View attachment 14499

Select Update Software from the drop down list and then push that update by hitting the “cloud” icon with the arrow in the upper right hand corner.

Hope that helps.

I’ve had issues where the module looks like it’s communicating but it actually shows disconnected under the status. My issue has been with conflicting addressing of the device within the master device’s 1’s and 0’s. Pain in the butt issue. Had to get tech support from Neptune to flush out the list and repopulate it with the modules one at a time.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have the apex classic under fusion I don’t see any of my modules but when I go to my up address I can look at modules and I can update them through there. It doesn’t say if they are out of date or not so I went Down all 11 and updated them all it still says I have 4 out of date

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It seems tied to the firmware update Neptune pushed out since all of this started at that time.

(I hear Microsoft took over their software side. “If it ain’t broke, we’ll fix it till it is.”) - no offense to any windows users, I’m equally frustrated with every OS I’ve tried.

I don’t have in-depth knowledge of Apex. I generally just muscle through it. You could unplug every module, do a power cycle on the entire system and then plug things back in one at a time. At least identify the problem modules.

Or, give Neptune a call. They’re nice people, but it’s a big painful process even when they’re nice.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am working with support and they want me to do a call 9-5 Monday through friday when I’m next to the apex. So it looks like I’m on my own. I tried putting my old firmware in and the display still doesn’t come on and I have 4 modules out of date still

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I haven’t participated on the Neptune help forums but they might have some input. Seems like it’s pretty active.

Try any of the reboot options? Or unplug the screen and plug it back in?

Try moving it to a port on another module just for the heck of it?

Delete the screen module and then add it back in?

Just some troubleshooting options. It’s odd the screen blacked out completely. Haven’t had that experience personally.

I think I have an old Apex display from my last system you can try out if you want. Let me know and I’ll double check. I’m in Golden.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have an extra apex head (brain) unit if you need one (not the one I just sold but I had two, now with one extra)

For the classic, can you still get into the control screen on your local network? Through that you should be able to update all the firmware that you download from Neptune.
Try unplugging and resetting the Apex without the display plugged in. Then try plugging it in. Through the display I think you can also update firmware, but it's clunky. I would get each unit up to speed on the firmware version.

That would likely solve the Fusion view problem.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/forumdisplay.php?2-Apex-Classic-Apex-Lite-Apex-Jr

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a couple friends that work for Neptune. They’ve told me before that they prefer email correspondence over phone because they can typically resolve the problem faster. They have also recommended the forum as well (like previously mentioned) since the people on there are quite responsive and knowledgeable.

I understand your frustration and hope you get it worked out.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have an extra apex head (brain) unit if you need one (not the one I just sold but I had two, now with one extra)

For the classic, can you still get into the control screen on your local network? Through that you should be able to update all the firmware that you download from Neptune.
Try unplugging and resetting the Apex without the display plugged in. Then try plugging it in. Through the display I think you can also update firmware, but it's clunky. I would get each unit up to speed on the firmware version.

That would likely solve the Fusion view problem.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/forumdisplay.php?2-Apex-Classic-Apex-Lite-Apex-Jr
I’ve tried updating and resetting stuff in multiple ways I will try to reset without the display and see what it does. I may hit you up if I need a brain

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I’m sure this is what you want it shows which ones are out of date but it won’t let me update them.
I see the problem. You have duplicates of modules that are leading to the message on fusion. I would do into your modules page on the classic dashboard and delete the module addresses that are marked as OLD.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I see the problem. You have duplicates of modules that are leading to the message on fusion. I would do into your modules page on the classic dashboard and delete the module addresses that are marked as OLD.

Why would there all of a sudden be duplicates? Each module doesn’t need more than one driver?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why would there all of a sudden be duplicates? Each module doesn’t need more than one driver?
It's not supposed to happen, but its reasonably common (particularly displays) for the apex to get confused and think that a particular module is a new one instead of an existing one and create a new address for it. Then it sees the "old" module as disconnected and used the "new" one instead. This bug is much more likely to occur right after a firmware update or when a module has been physically disconnected from the head for an extended time period.

Whenever I see that I just delete that old module from the list.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's not supposed to happen, but its reasonably common (particularly displays) for the apex to get confused and think that a particular module is a new one instead of an existing one and create a new address for it. Then it sees the "old" module as disconnected and used the "new" one instead. This bug is much more likely to occur right after a firmware update or when a module has been physically disconnected from the head for an extended time period.

Whenever I see that I just delete that old module from the list.

I’ll try that tonight thank you