WTH is this, and what is it doing!

I think I've seen this thing crawling on the wall before, but I've never seen it doing this! Picture to pique your curiosity, video to see what it's doing.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Video worked for me.
It looked like it was either spawning or had far too much to drink.

So, there are some videos on youtube showing stomatellas doing exactly the same thing (reproducing), but I didn't see anything floating in the water afterwards? Shooting blanks?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There has to be on of the opposite sex to do the same thing for baby snails to show up. I have heard that they like to do it every full moon. Was there a full moon when you took the video?

The moon was at 96% last night when I shot the video, so pretty close! However, this thing is in my basement. How would it know the lunar phase from there?

Good ID people. Definitely a stomatella. Thanks!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Sorry about the double post. The video was reall cool. They will reproduce quickly.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;283907 said:
Sorry about the double post. The video was reall cool. They will reproduce quickly.
I used to have them in my tank, and would watch all of them do that at once. I wish I could buy a bunch, but have never seen them for sale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Arn24;283906 said:
The moon was at 96% last night when I shot the video, so pretty close! However, this thing is in my basement. How would it know the lunar phase from there?

Good ID people. Definitely a stomatella. Thanks!
They don't have to see the moon in order to feel the moon.

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I'm hopping on this a little late and for the wrong reason, but if you do find some babies will you let me know? I researched these guys a little bit after watching your video (never seen this before super interesting!) and they seem like they would be beneficial to a reef: spawn readily, good algae eaters, interesting lunar behavior.

In particular I'd like to get a colony going in my refugium (algae is getting bad down there) as I think the 6-line in the display would probably pick them off.

Anyway if anyone has spares of these interesting snails, I'm in the market!