Clown tang

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
just got the cutest lil clown tang from reef koi thanks @SynDen for transporting g this lil guy for me. So I’d like to hear story’s about your clown tang. This guy has a bad rap for being a hurl when they mature who has first had experience good or bad!

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had one years ago. He made my sohal look like a model citizen. They are just down right mean. If you add anything else to the tank it will need to big.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have tried twice and both times resulted in failure and having to give the fish away since they were so mean. It started even when small. My student's nicknamed the last one Jerkfish. The last one I had was only 3" long and even chased my 10+" Naso around the tank. It was mean to everyone and even killed a couple of others due to stress from constant harassment. I know every individual has it's own personality, but I have not had good luck with this species. Oh and forget about adding any others after it as that is when it will be at its worst.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you crowd them or do not feed them enough to grow 3+ inches in a year, they can be total asses. If you keep their needs met, then they can be just fine (just fine, not awesome)... but most people will not feed them enough in a reef to keep them happy. Feeding them enough makes then not too reef friendly.

I have had some do fine from 2 to about 7 inches with 3x a day NLS and Formula 2 pellet feedings - this happened in 18-24 months. Then, they had to move on since my 8 foot tank was not big enough for them anymore. They lived with my Chocolate, purples, yellow and black tangs and they got along.

I cannot stress enough how much food they need if they are not going to get mean. Heck, they still might get mean. I had a friend in KC have one destroy all of his Acans in about 24 hours. Most people know that tangs are not always 100% reef safe, but this one seems more risky than others.