Skimmer replace or upgrade?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I am currently running an ASM G-3 on the library tank and I am thinking about a couple of different options. One would be to upgrade the pump to a Tunze Hydrofoamer, but that might mean adjusting the input and that can be a pain. The other option with the Black Friday deals would be to replace it all together and I am leaning toward a Tunze DOC, but I am not sure what size.
What do you guys think?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I wrestle with this decision every time I lose a skimmer pump. Skimmer pumps seem so expensive to replace, like the Hydrofarmer on a quick Google search is $140. Then you look at black friday deals and skimmers are going for not that much more. Bubble Magnus Curve 5 for $160 for example, rated to 140g which might be pushing it. At Marine Depot the ASM g3 still sells for $288, and a replacement Sedra 5000 pump is just under $90.

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lifereef - never worry about another "special" pump again!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
And anything custom from them takes months and months to get.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A bubble magus curve 9 might be just the ticket. Low profile, pretty cheap (like 300) and rated 240G on a heavy feed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO, unless you are going to get a Bubble King or a LifeReef, then whatever you buy will not likely outperform the ASM. I still use some ASM and ERs because bubble plates, cones and all of that are just garbage and they don't work as well as some of the old stuff. New Sedra Pump is like $88 at Marine Depot and probably still your best bet.

There are better skimmers than a ASM - there always have been... but they are usually in the $1000+ price range for needlewheels... or they are venturi, downdraft or beckett. ...these are not good for under-stand use.

I would not mess with skimmer pumps. The contact time, air intake and the whole package is what matters, not the pump (per se). If you are off on flow by 10-20%, then it might not work as well. I think that this is why some skimmers are better than others - the manufacturer just "got lucky" with a combo. For example, Reef Octopus had a line out for a while with Sicce PSK pumps. These skimmers were awesome and I will never sell mine. However, the newer ones with the bubble blaster and other pumps do not perform as well.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Followed your advice Doug. I ordered all new o-rings and a new pump for the ASM and it is back to skimming. Good as new!