ZOA removal

I have a very large rock with a colony of zoas I want to get rid of. I would like to keep the rock in place and not remove it from the tank. Any suggestions on how I can go about doing this? The colony is around 100 heads of Olive colored zoas.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: ZOA removal

Lol...

Aiptasia x. I had a bunch of NH palys and it killed them off in a day.

sent from my EVO eater

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could also mix up a kalk paste

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: ZOA removal

Or come borrow my laser ;) BTW where you been Beau? Hit me up Bro!!!!

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've always wondered what happens to all of the toxins from a zoa if you were to kill off a bunch with something like apt-x. Do they harm your tank, especially the smaller nano's?

Alright! I ended up using tweezers worked great pulled the heads off and the tissue pretty much peels right off the rock. I have a few heads and stuff left but didnt want to do too much at once. I did a large water change after.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
First, as you said, try and take as many off as you can to make frags. Then use a brush (metal is better, and scape away babby) - skimmer will go crazy, will want to keep GAC going and change after a few days, unless you do a good size water change. Afterwards, what seems to have survived, cover them up with epoxy. I've done that a few times. Although giving them away on this forum will frustrate you, (pink zoa's or brown/green button polyps) as no one will take them for free..... you could sell them cheap or give them away on craig's list though.