Zoa spots?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;356841 said:
You can also find tee tree oils in many places like sprouts, whole foods, Walgreens, etc.
True, however these are diluted and what would take 10 drops w a good oil company could be more. We used to get a thieves alternative from a health food store and it was anywhere from to 3tbls or 4 depending on strength. With the young living ones we get its usually 1Tsp.
The coral rx is mostly oils, I'm trying to figure out which ones.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;356846 said:
True, however these are diluted and what would take 10 drops w a good oil company could be more. We used to get a thieves alternative from a health food store and it was anywhere from to 3tbls or 4 depending on strength. With the young living ones we get its usually 1Tsp.
The coral rx is mostly oils, I'm trying to figure out which ones.
Very true. Not all oils are created equal. When they're diluted, you often don't know what they're diluted WITH, and that could be pretty important, depending on how you're using it. I would far rather use a pure oil than a blend of a pure oil with mystery ingredients. When it comes to essential oils, I have found that you get what you pay for, for the most part. If it's significantly cheaper, there's a reason.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, we purchase Wyndmere essential oils if they will touch our bodies and Now essential oils for cleaning products.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No change. Got furan-2 today in the mail but am trying to refrain from using it. Going to do a water change in the quarantine tank and then let sit a few days before adding The chems to it.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;357187 said:
It might be interesting to do one in furan and other with the natural approach. Probably not possible but would definitely be interesting
I might be able to do that. I have a few extra tanks lying around :)

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I moved everything out of my nem tank and took the two corals out of quarantine and added them to the nem tank, only macros and the nem in there so giving it a trial run (my quarantine tank really needed to be cleaned anyways). Haven't seen any decline in them over the last week and most spots have been gone now, they've just Ben upset for 2 weeks now so don't look the greatest.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, hopefully that did it. I would suggest dipping them again in a coral dip just to help in recovery. Keep us posted

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;357860 said:
Well, hopefully that did it. I would suggest dipping them again in a coral dip just to help in recovery. Keep us posted
That's a good idea, il have to do that tomorrow

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lost both frags this past week. I moved them back to my 30L after sitting for weeks in the tea tree oil. Found another colony in my other tank that may have had same thing, not sure yet, cut off half the zoas and moved it to quarantine. Will see if it comes back or not. Thinking this last one was from a large algae bloom in the tank that had irritated the zoas and not the pox but at this point not taking any chances.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know there is controversy over the use of vitamin C and if it is actually beneficial or not, but I would recommend at least looking into it and possibly trying. Let us know if you do and what your results are. I have heard many people state that vitamin c helps zoas heal and thrive but have also heard that it didn't do anything. I have been researching it the last few days and it seems worth trying.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ordered some reef dip by seachem, has worked for another reefer I know to stop bacterial in his tank. Will let everyone know if this works.
So far I've lost my candy apples pinks, armor of gods, half my cars (but I'm not sure they'll pull thru), and my tubs started showing signs two days ago. Once I get the dip i'm going to dip everything I have in it.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
UGH! I hate it when this sort of thing happens. Fingers crossed that you get it sorted out soon. And that you can replace the lost zoas without breaking the bank.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoa spots?

So my 60 frag tank may not have the pox in it, my tubs have come around and are opening just fine now. Everything else looks great in this tank. My 30L which was the original tank continues to have Zoas die in it from pox, I had cut some frags to try them in it and they died within days j it. Nem, clownfish, firefish, dragons tongue algae, red dragon algae all are doing fine. I have purigen, chemipure, charcoal, and a filter sock running in this tank.
This is my nem tank anyways. Thinking of letting it run its course in the tank and seeing if the pox will die off.
Anybody think this is a good idea or should I strip the tank and start over?

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;358775 said:
If no host is in the tank it'll eventually go away. Don't restart.
That's what I was thinking to. With nothing to feed on would eventually die off. Going to have this tank setup for a few years as a nem tank anyways so I don't see putting Zoas in it again.
Still going to dip everything in the iodine dip next week when it gets here just in case.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
No need to strip the tank and totally redo if the issue is just with zoas, and you're not gonna have zoas in it for a while. BTW- LOVE the idea of a 30L nem tank. Can't wait to see that.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;358780 said:
No need to strip the tank and totally redo if the issue is just with zoas, and you're not gonna have zoas in it for a while. BTW- LOVE the idea of a 30L nem tank. Can't wait to see that.
Yea it's black sand w three large live rock chunks in it. Currently w t5 actinic and coral pro lights. It's in my multitank build thread.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;358944 said:
Yea it's black sand w three large live rock chunks in it. Currently w t5 actinic and coral pro lights. It's in my multitank build thread.
Hmmm... guess I better wander over there and check that out...