Zoas and Paly's

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
:wall: Good evening everyone. I have something going on in my tank. I am pretty sure I know what it is however I am here searching out second opnions. Some of my Zoa's and Paly's will only open partial some will open fully some wont open at all. I can however move them into my other tank and they all open up just fine. Now the tank. It is a 55 T-5 lights, most everything has been in it for a long time 6-9 months and was doing fine. Water is as follows. Temp 78 degrees, calcium 480 DKH 8 (143.2 PPM) Phosphates .5 PH 8.2 Nitrates 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0. some of the other things in the tank that are doing fine, frogspawn, acans, several diffrent types of mushrooms, a few chalices, kenya trees. As well all the fish are fine any ideas?:wall:

Anyone have a cheap phosphate/carbon reactor?

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Phosphates

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
got algae? ...why are your phosphates at .5? ...is the test accurate?

is there a big difference in flow from on tank to the other?

any critters bothering them?

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I do believe it is accurate, the flow is about the same between the two tanks. I do have a slight algae problem nothing major. But apararently in the ocean the phosphates run around .03 so I am thinking that maybe they are to high for the Paly's and Zoo's

I am testing my RO water out at .25 for phosphates so I am thinking I need to replace my filters on my RO/DI.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i personally don't think its the phosphates of .5 but not sure what it could be ...lol

phosphates are tricky thing to test for though which is why most people don't bother ...usally the algae in your tank is your guide for the amount of phosphates you have ...since you do have algae and still getting a phoshate reading that means POSSIBLY it could be much higher than .5 but the rest is just bound up in the algae ...still i don't see how it affects the zoas and palys but i'm sure someone will learn me

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine are doing the same thing, at MTS tank they opened, in both of mine nope. I have cyano in the DT but I dint think that's it, let wirick put them in his frag tank hopefully they'll open up for him

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;53389 said:
chemical warfare? I wouldnt think so not much
copper contamination? No
temp swings? No
ph swings? I dont think so will have to test in the AM after lights out all night
alkalinity swings?
Same as PH

chemical warfare? I wouldnt think so not much there to fight
copper contamination? No
temp swings? No
ph swings? I dont think so will have to test in the AM after lights out all night
alkalinity swings? Same as PH

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
how about predators? Any chance of a sundial snail? How about zoa eating nudis? ZoaPox? Are you seeing any of the polyps wither away and have a white coating over them? Have you tried dipping them?

Sorry for all the q's!

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
no signs of any predators they all look good even when closed just closed. Nothing out of the ordinary just closed up. Not dying off or anything just not opening.

adoucette

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am having same problem with my only polyp frag and am contemplating giving them away in hopes they might do better in someone else's tank. My Phosphate is 0 and everything PH, CA, Mg, etc. is stable and all other corals are thriving. I have moved them to different locations in the tank and then tried my other tank, but to no avail....frustrating huh

adoucette

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll let you know