28g JBJ Nanocube filtraton

Hey guys, I have a couple questions on a JBJ 28g HQI nanocube filtration. I have always wondered what the best way to do filtration on one of these. I started with the stock filter foam, carbon, and ceramic rings. I then upgraded to the foam pad, purigen, and chemi-pure. I'm now wondering about getting a protein skimmer. Do I need a protein skimmer? If so which one would fit the nanocube? If I get a skimmer, do i still need the filter media? Please help anyone!

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
lotan;139412 said:
Hey guys, I have a couple questions on a JBJ 28g HQI nanocube filtration. I have always wondered what the best way to do filtration on one of these. I started with the stock filter foam, carbon, and ceramic rings. I then upgraded to the foam pad, purigen, and chemi-pure. I'm now wondering about getting a protein skimmer. Do I need a protein skimmer? If so which one would fit the nanocube? If I get a skimmer, do i still need the filter media? Please help anyone!
I have been using the seriously CRAPPY Biocube skimmer in my 28g JBJ Nano for a few months. Prior to that, no skimmer. I've had no issues with my system at all. Nitrates are always higher than I like, but everything is awesome in the tank. I just started using the stock basket with ceramic rings, and carbon a couple months ago. I don't see a difference from when it was just some liverock rubble in the back when I first had it going. So the short answer is, NO...you don't "need" a skimmer. ;)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hear the Tunze is the best but it dosnt fit in the main back chamber of the jbj. If you could somehow make it bigger I think that would be best. I have not read good things on the one jbj makes but I have no personal experience with it maybe someone here does and can tell how it works. Personally the filtration on mine isn't cutting it. I am constantly battling PO4 and am very careful to not over feed, always use frozen foods well rinsed in ro.

Ok thank you! I think although i dont '"need" one, I will probably get one. The other problem is I've heard the biocube and nanocube ones are terrible and there aren't many others that will fit in that back area...

If the media basket is removed, then the Tunze would fit i think. Would that be all the filtration i need then? besides the live rock and sand.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Actually I just measured again and maybe it would I thought it was too narrow as the length on the tunze is 4.9" per their specs and the width of the jbj chamber is 5" I could have sworn it was only 4". So actually I think it would fit. My question though is will there still be enough room for the overflow to work properly because if it does fit its going to be really tight!. I think one of you should buy the one colorago has for sale and tell me how it works. ;)

I've also heard that the Aqua C HOB would fit where the skimmer is supposed to go, then I could have the media basket plus a decent skimmer.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaEuroUSA_Nano_Protein_Skimmer_2_w_Needle_Wheel_Pump_Hang_On_Venturi_Needle_Wheel_Protein_Skimmers-AquaEuroUSA-ED3313-FIPSHONW-vi.html
I use this guy its works well have been using it since I set the tank up. It fills up every 3-4 days. small easy to clean and fits in the left chamber. I am adding cheato to the filter basket dumped the bio rings in the bottom of the main chamber fuge since they don't need to be changed. I am going to add some live rock rubble in the with it. In the basket I will have the sponge, cheato, carbon. I have a nano glo led light arriving tomorrow for the cheato. I think this setup will work well on top of the skimmer which I recommend it pulls some nasty stuff out of the tank everyday and fits perfect in the chamber.

I had a tunze 9002 in the back of mine. Fits great after you alter the collection cup. Pm me if you want more nano jbj 28 questions. I went as far as to drill mine and put a sump in the cabinet. Incredible system now

bgrimm

Angel Fish
When I had my JBJ I was using the AquaC Remora for the skimmer. I could still use the stock media basket with chemipure elite and filter material in it. Had nothing but good results with it.

Has anyone heard about the octopus 1000BH HOB? It seems to of gotten good reviews and it appears to fit in the back with the media basket

Here are some updated images on my basket filter. I got that nano glo led light in the mail finally 2 days late from the snow storm we had. It fits perfect behind the basket in the tank. I added the cheato in the middle and bottom of the basket and in the first part I have the sponge to stop any food etc.. I plan to take the sponge out and add a really fine filter instead because the sponge gets dry after so long and starts to break apart. I also dumped out the bio rings into the bottom as seen in the images and had a couple pieces of live rock rubble I added to the mix. I kept the cheato in the basket until I look into how to block the cheato from going into the pumps. I think my best bet wouild be to add sponge to the over flows on the two chambers. Only problem there is id have to do something to keep cheato out of the skimmer pump.

Hmm looks nice, I might have to look into the light and some cheato. What I've done is ordered the reef octopus bh1000 skimmer. Ill let everyone know how it is once it comes

I can say my water has never been so clear! The carbon bag you can see is in the far chamber left chamber it helps a lot too. I wish i had more room for that skimmer to put the clean water into the return chamber but its tight and just goes back into the same area but its skimming well so im not too worried about it.