535 gallon build by Fluid Designers

is that a cross braced top in the pics above? i went with a 6" eurobrace on my 525 (96x42x30, 1.25" acrylic) and all four corners of the bracing failed within about 4yrs or so.

sure you're on top of it, just thought i'd share the experience with a similar build.

FluidDesigners

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
porthios;302119 said:
is that a cross braced top in the pics above? i went with a 6" eurobrace on my 525 (96x42x30, 1.25" acrylic) and all four corners of the bracing failed within about 4yrs or so.

sure you're on top of it, just thought i'd share the experience with a similar build.
We use a solid, one piece top with cutouts. We have built many large aquariums and (knock on wood) no issues yet.

ah perfect. yeah, hope i didn't sound like i'm doubting you guys. just saying i wish i'd made a different decision.

if you guys had been around to help me 5yrs ago, i wouldn't have to be tearing it all down now ;)

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like Tacos;301743 said:
I think you guys are going to be the Colorado version of "Tanked". One thing that the show never states is the total cost of the setups they put on the shows. Would love to know the cost of a huge setup like these. On a side note, can't wait for you guys to open your showroom up, the wife and I will be there a bunch.
+1
There was a behind the scenes episode where they talked about it but can't remember at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is the built in overflow the customers design? I am curious to why not an external over flow on this size tank?

FluidDesigners

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
MartinsReef;302371 said:
Is the built in overflow the customers design? I am curious to why not an external over flow on this size tank?
Internal overflows are a little safer when doing acrylic and also allows the tank to be closer to the wall. Being 4' wide, it already takes up a good amount of real estate.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FluidDesigners;302389 said:
Internal overflows are a little safer when doing acrylic and also allows the tank to be closer to the wall. Being 4' wide, it already takes up a good amount of real estate.
That is what I thought and makes total since!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
FluidDesigners;302388 said:
Can't give away all of our trade secrets Nick! Tom actually mixes solvents. I'm not exactly sure the process on that.
Not a bad business plan for the amount of acrylic you guys make. Methelyne chloride, acetone, and acrylic shavings is way cheaper than buying weldon.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house. -robert heinlein

FluidDesigners

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
Just an update on the 535 build...
The tank was loaded up and delivered to it's home last week. The stand was placed, the tank was carried in, plumbing was completed, and water testing began. Right now tap water is running through the system to make sure all plumbing is secure. Later this week, it will be drained, filled with sand, aqua scaped, and filled with the real thing.
View attachment 18991 View attachment 18992 View attachment 18993 View attachment 18994 View attachment 18995 View attachment 18996 View attachment 18997 View attachment 18998 View attachment 18999 View attachment 19000 View attachment 19001 View attachment 19002 View attachment 19003

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Man that looks awesome! Nice work, very clean design

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
OMG! :jaw:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Saw this thing in person when he sold me the 55 QT. All I have to say is WOW. Its already spectacular even before acros get added to the top.