Algae ID and Help

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Had an anemone try to take on a power head and lost. Since then my 30 has had algae issues. My macros are growing great:

They were half that last week.
However I've had a different type of algae start to take over everything it can touch:

Ideas on what might be causing it and how to eliminate? Thanx.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh. I have one small bta, 1 clown, 1 purple fire fish, and a frag of blue sympodium. Lights are 2xt5 tuning 12 hrs/day. Red dragon in the fuge section run in 24hrs/day lights.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It looks like dinoflagellates. Increase your water changes and it will eventually go away. You could also manually brush it off and use a fish net to try and catch it as it brushes off.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
tomtom2245;363090 said:
It looks like dinoflagellates. Increase your water changes and it will eventually go away. You could also manually brush it off and use a fish net to try and catch it as it brushes off.

+1

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;363091 said:
Are the air bubbles present right when your lights come on in the morning, or do they gradually build as the day goes along?
I had just cleaned the glass off so there were micro bubbles all over.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
+1 on cutting down your light cycle. I will have to go against the grain here on water changes... There are plenty of articles and threads on forums discussing how water changes can only fuel dino bloom. Speaking from my personal experience as well. Research as much as you can before you take any steps. Dino is a pain no doubt. Some also dose hydrogen peroxide.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Caulerpa can also go sexual at 12 hours. 18 hours is even pushing it to keep it from going sexual. Caulerpa should not be an in tank macro and should be run at 18-24 hours IMO. If it were me, I would take the caulerpa out and just use the dragons breath in tank.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;363144 said:
Caulerpa can also go sexual at 12 hours. 18 hours is even pushing it to keep it from going sexual. Caulerpa should not be an in tank macro and should be run at 18-24 hours IMO. If it were me, I would take the caulerpa out and just use the dragons breath in tank.
I've thought about it. I have a small fuge I can throw it in or out it back into my big refuge in the 60.