Anyone know a structural engineer?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So as the title notes, anyone know a structural engineer? Thinking about changing up my tank and going bigger (and glass) but I want to get definite number for the load that my floor will hold without additional support. Let me know if you know anyone.

Thanks!

Adam

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
You might try engineers at lumber companies. I took measurements and pics to one at Alpine lumber here off 52 and he was able to tell me a fairly strong yes/no. Granted mine was a pretty short span so it was a fairly easy yes you are over engineering it. If you can get to the joists jacking them certainly is cheap and easy way to add a ton of support. I even ended up skipping doing any blocking or web stiffening. (But can do later if bored.)

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
yeah mine is odd. It's against a wall which helps. Perpendicular to the joists but they span quite a way. But the main think is that the center (ish) of where the tank is has a wall directly under it. Makes me think I need someone to take a look and see how that is going to effect the total number.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;n649619 said:
How much bigger are we talking
Depends. I have an acrylic 150 now with probably a 40G sump. It depends on what I can do...:)

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a 2:20 with a 40 breeder on the second floor of an apartment up to 300 gallons I think you're probably good and most solid construction houses just my two cents

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
You say a wall under it but load bearing wall vs forget what you call just a divider wall.

Not all houses are created equal so don't just use ancedotal evidence. Sometimes things may work but are certainly well past a "safety" threshold. Or it may work but over time fails, like a couple years later.