Anyone know what this is?

It looks like some sort of egg nest? I've got two conches and various snails in the tank. Also have 3 clowns, Yellow tang, wrasse, and a goby.

Unsure of what this is. I was hoping someone could help me identify it.

I'll try tomorrow when the lights are on again. It's in the corner so kind of a hard angle. It's maybe 1/4 inch deep with sand stuck all over it.

Yeah it did. The night before they appeared one of my conches split in half exposing it's body. I thought it was dying. Then the next morning it was fine and that clump was on the glass. I can't find anything online about their eggs/reproduction. So I guess we'll see what happens.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looks like a tiger conch egg string. Dont see them very often in tanks but do sometimes occurs

Those are the type of conch that I have. They've only been in the tank for about 1 month. I'm hoping something comes of it soon. Will keep posting pictures.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Im not sure if they can be bred in a tank, but from what i have read, once they start laying eggs like that they will do so every few weeks or so. Mostly become plankton for your tank to eat, but still pretty kewl none the less :)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya doesnt happen a lot in tanks I think, most of what i have seen has been from reef studies, but apparently every species of conch snail lays a different shaped type of egg string. Some are really quite amazing

Update-
This is the 4th egg nest from the conch. I saw her putting them on the glass and now on my coral. The first set was eaten but I moved this clump to the bottom tank. Haven't seen anything hatch yet but she's making a new one every 2-3 days.