Battle against Ich

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will be doing the TTM to eliminate ich. Have a few questions I need to ask about set up and also my housing after the TTM is complete. 10 fish will be going through the TTM.

1. Are the 5 gallon buckets to small for this amount of fish? I do have an extra 20 & 10 gallon tank available. Figured the smaller the containment the faster the bio load will build up.

2. When sanitizing the equipment would spraying them with vinegar in a bottle work?

3. Does it have to air dry or can you jump start it with paper towels?

4. I know the air stones have to be discarded, what about the air line?

Housing after TTM: I bought a brand new tank and sump when my wife showed interest in breading a while back ago (hell of a price too!), it has been sitting for a while. I plan on using this to house my fish while the DT is fallow after the TTM.

2. Could I transfer my protein skimmer and sump to this new tank to help with bacteria and bio load?

3. Should I sanitize it and let it dry completely before using it on the new tank?

4. All I would have in my DT is corals and inverts, my plan is to transfer the new sump to my DT so it still maintains water flow. Since there woun't be pretty much any bio-load, would this be a good use just to have the water flow? Would I need any filtration with it?

5. I've heard one of my LFS about some chemical that binds ammonia and nitrites and the skimmer deals with the rest when getting rid of it, is there such thing?

Any other thoughts on this processes will greatly help me with my battle plan.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree with Vance on most of this, although I have never done a TTM, I went with Hypo the one time I had ich. I didn't see where you acknowledge the time frame for the fallow period. While your doing all the tank transfers to treat your fish, I just want to make sure you realize your still going to have your display fallow for at least 6 weeks. I personally would recommend 8 weeks just to be safe, I would hate for you to go through all this, and end up reinfecting your fish because they were put back into the system too early.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Raising temp in the display while running fallow will help the process along a bit, but I would still go 6-8 weeks without fish. It helps to understand the full 4 stages of the life cycle with crypto (ich) as well as the parasite is generally only vounerable in 2 of these stages. Chemicals generally work great on one of these stages while the raised temp will affect the other.

I used watkins ground ginger. My fish had ick and I would put a pinch of this with mysis shrimp and garlic guard and my fish are all healthy and been ick free for about a year now not even my hippo or powder brown I used to have would get ut