Blue Clove Polyps

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
View attachment 10958 I have encountered blue clove polyps in my reef for the first time. They are hitchhikers and have been steadily gaining population numbers. This is a 3in x 5in patch on one rock. They started on the colony next to current location.

What should I do? They are pictured on the largest rock in my tank. If I pulled it and broke off the infected area (hammer/chisel) would that even work? If I leave them will they overrun everything? They are driving out the king Midas zoas on this rock which has me worried.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
View attachment 10958 I have encountered blue clove polyps in my reef for the first time. They are hitchhikers and have been steadily gaining population numbers. This is a 3in x 5in patch on one rock. They started on the colony next to current location.

What should I do? They are pictured on the largest rock in my tank. If I pulled it and broke off the infected area (hammer/chisel) would that even work? If I leave them will they overrun everything? They are driving out the king Midas zoas on this rock which has me worried.
They are a b to get rid of . Id remove all now with some extra to spare just in case

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh that's too bad. II'm kinda jealous but then again I like them. They play nice with LPS and SPS from tanks I have personally seen, but I can see how you might not want them taking up real estate that might otherwise be ground for zoas.
I dunno, when conditions are right for them, they are right. Drastic measures might be necessary. The only other option is to wait and see who the better colonizer is. I wouldn't think that smothering them with epoxy would do anything but keep them at bay. Maybe something like squirting limewater could work but you'd probably harm their neighbors. And there is a nudibranch that preys on them but I don' think it is easy to find in the trade.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
JZ - If I have luck with the hammer and chisel you can have them....

Some of the r2r posts say they grow like a mat and you can pick the edge with a razor blade and pull them all off. Others say epoxy over the top of it. I might smash it like the flippin Hulk then superglue or epoxy any remains.

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
They also will over grow sps.
I'm not saying they can't, but did you observe that they were overgrowing sps? I've watched a tank over time the owner's of Alpine Koi and seen a couple others in person. I've always noticed they fill in the gaps but lose against a stinging coral every time.
That said, when it comes to reef tanks, there are always experiences to counter someone else's. I would be concerned when it comes to zoas though because it's a scramble to occupy space.

Yeah I would love a chunk. I have a chisel and punch set as well as a cut off wheel if you want company...

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Razor blade might be dicey. The polyps are small and if a few go floating around..

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Blow torch, then epoxy over it.
I like your style! I'm not worried about losing many of the Midas Gold zoas....but the pink zippers next to them are some of my favorites. I don't know how precise I could be with a torch. Will they survive just regular epoxying over do you think?

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like your style! I'm not worried about losing many of the Midas Gold zoas....but the pink zippers next to them are some of my favorites. I don't know how precise I could be with a torch. Will they survive just regular epoxying over do you think?
If you lose your zippers illI give you a frag

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow. I'm not using Fluc haha! It's been sitting in my fish room for 6 mo just in case I need it. have quite a bit if you want to try it.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Wow. I'm not using Fluc haha! It's been sitting in my fish room for 6 mo just in case I need it. have quite a bit if you want to try it.
Just set up a simple tank for any that you want to keep, should be easy for GSP, Xenia, etc to save it for a few weeks for the medication to work in the display then filter it out with carbon and away you go.

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good advice for someone who has algae problems

edit: I think wires got crossed. Are we talking Fluc or Fenben?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Funny there the article on reef builders on these lil ba$$tards
Thanks for the info Charlie, here is the article for those interested: https://reefbuilders.com/2018/02/06/stop-adding-blue-polyps-to-your-reef-tank/

It should be noted that I've never purchased this as a frag, this was a hitchhiker on something. I've seen the polyps in this spot for about 8 months...I just didn't realize exactly what I was dealing with.

They really didn't give many concrete solutions to the problem, just a pic of my worst nightmare:

View attachment 10968