HUGE screw up!!!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I just figured out why I have cyano and other unsightly algae in both tanks at school and why my DI resin was going bad so quickly. I can't recall when I replaced the RO membranes on the RODI, but when I did I somehow mixed up the clean water output and the waste output on one of the RO membrane housings. I couldn't figure out why the TDS was reading 200-300 on the DI input. How I mixed these up and missed it for so long is beyond me, but lesson learned and I can't wait to have a clean tank again!

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Glad you caught it. I bet it wont take long either do a good water change or 2 and bam.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I figure now that the nutrient source is gone the cyano should start to work itself out pretty quickly. I was so frustrated, it's a relief that I found it, but when I saw I sure felt dumb!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Yep, that would do it. Glad you finally caught it. I did that once a while back and was making me blow through a DI canister super fast, and helped lead to the dino outbreak I had a while back because my water is high in silicate

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Yep, that would do it. Glad you finally caught it. I did that once a while back and was making me blow through a DI canister super fast, and helped lead to the dino outbreak I had a while back because my water is high in silicate
That was how I figured it out. Was all the DI resin I was running through and the TDS being out of control.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Got me all excited and I checked mine, no luck though my water is just that bad.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got me all excited and I checked mine, no luck though my water is just that bad.
Are you using the standard flow membranes (like 75gpd) or the high flow ones (like 100 gpd). If the latter, that might be your problem since they are much less efficient than standard flow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Standard with autoflush and 70 psi, pretty much everything I can do to make it better, the water out here is just basically liquid rock. The African cichlids like it though.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
It's amazing how long it takes to make RO now that it's hooked up properly!