'Common' Palythoa ID please

Sour137

Cleaner Shrimp
So I got this palythoa a couple of weeks ago from a tank breakdown in Denver. The guy described it as a common palythoa, and since I got a bunch of new zoas and palys from the DBTC swap I decided I should research palythoa poisoning, just in case. Reading the description of the heliodiscus variety this coral immediately jumped out to me. The stripes radiating from the mouth, to me, fits the description pretty well. What do you guys think? Is this one of the highly toxic varieties? How should I go about keeping it contained?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
All palythoa are highly toxic and cation should be taken when handling, or fragging them. That being said, dont let that scare you from putting them in your tanks. Just dont handle them with open wounds on your hands, wash your hands if you do handle them. If you take them out of the tank to frag them, be sure to wear gloves and eye protection

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
All palythoa are highly toxic and cation should be taken when handling, or fragging them. That being said, dont let that scare you from putting them in your tanks. Just dont handle them with open wounds on your hands, wash your hands if you do handle them. If you take them out of the tank to frag them, be sure to wear gloves and eye protection
What he said. +1

In addition, this kind of paly grows rapidly without much asthetic quality to offer. You should dump them for something more pleasing to your eyes. If you like them keep them but this will turn into a major portion of your real estate.

I've become quite picky on what I allow in my reef. I have a frag I can donate you of rainbow palys that grow quick as well and will brighten up your tank. PM if interested.

Sour137

Cleaner Shrimp
Well, I lucked out and got 5 new palys/zoas from the DBTC swap. Utter Chaos, Purple Death, Pink Zippers, Bam Bams, and Rastas. Are any of those a faster growing variety?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those are all nice and if they grow fast for you then you're in luck lol. Most of those are zoas too. Was just giving you a heads up on that specific paly and offered a free replacement

Sour137

Cleaner Shrimp
Those are all nice and if they grow fast for you then you're in luck lol. Most of those are zoas too. Was just giving you a heads up on that specific paly and offered a free replacement
I figured they were. The on in the op was my first of either, so I'm still learning about he differences. Where would I have to go to pick the rainbow paly up?

Sour137

Cleaner Shrimp
Yeah, that's a tad far for me. I don't have a car otherwise I could do it, so I have to depend on the transportation of others. For now I'll stick to what I have and move those unsightly palys away from difficult to remove areas like that rock.