Doc’s oops I did it again 200 gallon

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Well, i’ve Been talking about this for a while but finally got my slow start. Moving things over from my 175 to a custom 200ish gallon from SCA Aquarium. The tank is 65x30x22”

we are remodeling the kitchen which will involve removing the wall my current tank is on so the new tank will be in the basement. Sump and equipment will all still be behind a wall in the houses small equipment room.

Equipment will mostly be moved from existing tank.
.SCA tank
.synergy shadow overflow love this!
.sicce 2000 gallon return
.sump undecided
. Neptune apex
. Two wav pumps and one Gyre
. Calcium reactor with master flex pump
.big external bubble king skimmer (had for years.... rock solid!)
.lighting is three 250 watt halides (20k 4 hours a day, don’t suggest led!) and 4 2foot let strips from reef reeders and either 2 more 4 foot led bars or 2 t5. This has grown lots of great corals for years now and not going to change. Everyone who comes over says ($hit that’s why you run halides! )

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
thats a sexy bitch

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Very slick looking! What are the big lessons you are taking away from the old tank?

Lessons? Hummm I’ve been in the hobby for a while so.... I’ve Messed up a lot! I’d never take down, move and set up the same tank in one day again. That was a bone headed thing I did while moving 18 months ago. It’s actually why I got the new tank. I can let it run for a few months before the livestock move. Always go slow, buy good proven equipment once rather than playing the upgrade game. Imitate someone successful with tank husbandry. Don’t follow fads or change things without a lot of thinking first! Keep up on testing! If you are not having fun get out of the hobby for a while.

Everything takes twice as long and costs twice as much and takes at least three trips to the hardware store. (At least that’s how I operate...) lol

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Has anyone started the triton method? Looks like it’s pretty interesting. I’m thinking of doing something similar. I want to keep my calcium reactor rather than their version of 2 part. I am thinking of building a large fuge, haven’t had one in a lot of years, and sending a water sample off when the tank is settled to start the minor trace elements. I already do very smell water changes... really to remove some detritus... I do already run activated carbon and gfo (very little)

If anyone has any advice or running the full or partial system I’d Love feedback. What I love is that it’s pretty natural and the goal is natural sea water conditions rather than some other exaggeration of that.