Getting nem to split?

dweeb

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any advice on how to get my RBTA to split? He's getting huge.

I've tried feeding him more, putting lots of flow on him, etc.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
From my experience on nems splitting: Major temp change or water chemistry disturbance. Not saying to try this. LOL

Overfeed, massive water change, moving the rock its on, direct heavy waterflow to make it move and hopefully split.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Gonefishin

Butterfly Fish
Where two powerheads meet when facing eachother creating a downward flow, place the nem there. That downward pressure will cause the nem to split. I had a sunburst split 3 times in a month when they were in my 180 gallon.

Also i cover one in complete darkness with a cardboard cover for 24 hours and it split.

Not sure if you are still looking for an answer to this... but I have had a RBTA clone for years, and it has split maybe 10 times so far. As far as I can tell, the best way to "get it to split" on its own, is to change the way it receives light... even if its only for a few days. Dont deprive it of light.... change the way it gets it. If it normally receives light from directly overhead, move it 45 degrees so it receives it from the side, etc... maybe not pointed at the nem either, just off center. Mine split in 1 day like this. I have done this more than once.

I think how often and what will bring on a split is also dependent on the nem (not necessarily the species but the individual nem). I have a Green BTA and Rose BTA...my green splits all the time and grows super fast (the last split was cause by a massive water change) my rose is over 3 years old, was full size when I got it, and it has never split, it has never moved since I put it in the tank either LOL. Just my personal observation. As was said above take the plunge and cut it yourself it is not that difficult.

Bdk1786

Butterfly Fish
Mine has never split but I have never tried to force it either. And the poor thing has been through some rough time. Shifting light, flow, fattening with scallops, large water changes, etc... you name it.

Damn thing is just happy as is.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stress or a knife. Stress is not a good idea in a display. You can take it out and cut it in half - it is really easy and almost without risk.

It is the rare 'nem that splits on it's own under good condition. I used to have a rose clone that would split into three about every three months - this is a curse more than a blessing. I have heard of some greens that do the same thing. These clones would also split on their own. I have a few rainbows and a sunburst now that won't split at all unless I cut them which is not often.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I have a rainbow that I have had for 3yrs and it has never split, but have a gba that splits often, and splits 2-3 at a time

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I read a recent article about pom pom crabs. They like to have one nem on each claw and they starve the nem, giving them just enough food in order to let them live but not outgrow the crab. If they lose a nem on one hand they will gently apply tearing pressure (but not rip the nem) to coax the nem into splitting. :) Try it and let know hahaha