Hello Relocating to Boulder Soon Starting New Tank

Moving from CA to CO soon and plan to startup a tank. Wondering with the weather difference if I should put tank in garage or basement pros/cons. Let me know what you guys think

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Welcome to CO
Is the garage heated, air conditioned, and/or insulated? If it is, then Garage can work great, but otherwise you will want to put it in the basement. Summers here are generally in the 90's-110 range for temps, and winters can generally around 30's but can dip well below freezing from time to time, so garage would need insulation, and the same heat/cooling as the house, if you don't want to spend a fortune heating, and cooling the tank throughout the year.

Awesome info that will help me decide the right home for tank lol ;). Do you happen to know if there are reef stores in boulder area or any reef clubs to join?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well you found the primary reef club to join ;)
As far as stores go there are a number of them near boulder and around the metro area. In Boulder there is Aqua Imports, and Exotic Aquatics. Near boulder in Broom field there is Fancy Clownfish, and if you are willing to drive a bit there Biggs Lagoon in Firestone, Mile High Tides in Downtown Denver, Murmanns in Englewood, Elite reef in Thorton, Aqua Mart in Lakewood, and the best store in the state is Aquatic Art in Highlands ranch.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
@Ausndani, what part of CA are you from? We moved from the Bay Area around 4 years ago. Don't let the temperature numbers scare you. The air is really dry here so when it's 45 degrees here it may feel like 60 degrees from what you're used to. Same goes for the heat; numerically it may seem hot but it doesn't feel like it (especially it you're in the shade).

Basements are great for larger tanks since they have the concrete slab, but I don't go down to the basement that often and I want to see my tank more often. Our basement was unfinished when we moved so I added some steel I beams to reinforce the floor for where I'm planning the next build.

The title says you're starting something new. What do you have planned so far?

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
this is me waiting for the build thread..........
Lol, welcome