Help Needed with a Parasite

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
What are some common fish diseases and cures?? I'm recently struggling with something on my clown fish and the potter's angel that passed definately was infected with something. Help please! I don't want to lose any more fish.

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its hard to get a good pic I should have taken a pic of the angel. I can tell you its tiny white spots. Very small and not bad on the clown right now. The cleaner shrimp is trying to clean him.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Look up pics of ich. See if it looks the same. Sound like ich. Any new additions without qt?

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes one fish but he was supposedly in a qt and then a main tank for about 2 weeks before I got it. Won't be trusting that again.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Always QT your fish and corals.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sometimes ich is in a dt without any signs. If the fish are healthy and not stressed they can be carriers but show no symptoms. I went through the same thing. When it was stressed, its immune system may have dropped and the parasite won. Unfortunately ich is not fun to rid of. If it is in a reef it needs to sit without fish for 2 plus months. Move fish to a qt tank and try hypo or copper. I am no expert. You will have to do your own research. Copper will absorb into everything though. Do not use in a reef. Still not sure its ich either. Other guys on here kbow better.

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;209575 said:
Always QT your fish and corals.[/QUOT
I always dip my coral. I've already had a pair of tank raised clowns die from a parasite also. The fish that I have qt all do fine and then I add them two weeks later they die. All the fish were purchased from the same store :-\

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
xjmav;209577 said:
Sometimes ich is in a dt without any signs. If the fish are healthy and not stressed they can be carriers but show no symptoms. I went through the same thing. When it was stressed, its immune system may have dropped and the parasite won. Unfortunately ich is not fun to rid of. If it is in a reef it needs to sit without fish for 2 plus months. Move fish to a qt tank and try hypo or copper. I am no expert. You will have to do your own research. Copper will absorb into everything though. Do not use in a reef. Still not sure its ich either. Other guys on
here kbow better.
After the last set of clowns that died the tank had no problems for months. Even with a new pair of clowns. The potters angel was added and it was infected. It did fine for two weeks. I was told oh you'll be fine with this fish he's done good here at the shop. I questioned the compatibility and my tank size and was still told it was ok.....it wasn't . I was actually getting ready to take the fish back when it died.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;209587 said:
It is this parasite!! I've QT the clown and he is looking a lot better, hoping that I caught it in time. I'm treating him and hopefully he will pull through. Thank you for your help!!

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah it is a nasty bug and has a 45 day life cycle, try not to add any new fish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
A great resource for online research of disease (and anything else fish related) is wetwebmedia.com. Try as hard as you can to diagnose what it may be from pictures etc.

Treating Amyloodinium makes treating Ich seem like easy street, from what I understand. There is belief that inverts can be carriers. Sounds like your tank is now infested, if it is Amyloodinium or a similar type parasite. You may want to run fallow (including inverts if it could be that pathogen).

I know Kordon Ich products are praised around here, and saw that those products (marketed "reef safe") say they treat for Amyloodinium.
National Fish Pharmacy (google) has the Quinine product that is mentioned in Steven Pro's article (KhensuRa's link).

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
daverf;209814 said:
A great resource for online research of disease (and anything else fish related) is wetwebmedia.com. Try as hard as you can to diagnose what it may be from pictures etc.

Treating Amyloodinium makes treating Ich seem like easy street, from what I understand. There is belief that inverts can be carriers. Sounds like your tank is now infested, if it is Amyloodinium or a similar type parasite. You may want to run fallow (including inverts if it could be that pathogen).

I know Kordon Ich products are praised around here, and saw that those products (marketed "reef safe") say they treat for Amyloodinium.
National Fish Pharmacy (google) has the Quinine product that is mentioned in Steven Pro's article (KhensuRa's link).
Dave- Thank you so much for the info. Have you used the Kordon Ich yourself? I was trying to see what would be best to treat my main display tank. @KhensuRa - thank you for that article it was so helpful. I won't be adding fish for at least 45 days+!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
No problem, sure hope the info helps, and also hope that you kick it. I'm undoing my own main tank infestation issue currently so I'm with ya! (Hyposalinity for Ich).

By the time external symptoms show with most pathogens, it often is too late and you can be 100% confident that all of your fish have some level of disease. Especially if fish died in the tank already - when this occurs, there are less hosts for an equal number of pathogens in the tank (which means the living hosts will have an increased attack from pathogens that leave the dead tissue in search living).

I've never used Kordon. If it were me and I was confident this is Amyloodinium (which kills everything, quickly), I would do as Steven Pro suggested and jump straight to QT copper ASAP on all fish. And run fallow (inverts included) for 8 weeks at elevated temperature (see wetwebmedia page on this condition). I've been through enough disease and medication runs that I wouldn't want to prolong expense/misery of main tank infestation.

If your other fish shake off spots and come through, your probably aren't dealing with Amyloodinium. More likely it is Ich, and personally I would do hyposalinity. This is why diagnosis is crucial. If you had known deaths from Ich before, you may be dealing with it again. The Ich population could be running its lifecycle, which has flare-ups and quieter periods.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
My small 2cents: Even if a medication says "Reef safe", don't fully trust it with corals, nems, and inverts, including crustaceans. I've read enough horror stories and sad reefers after taking that (trusting) leap. Even well-known medications, it's not ever 100% success. Try to have a separate QT of some sort, don't expect corals, etc. to survive even those so-called "herbal" formulas. I have assimilated that the most recommended stuff for ich (and other parasites) are:

Kordon Ich-Attack and Seachem ParaGuard. TONS of info out there on ich, not sure about Marine Velvet Oodinium though, here's a start. Good luck!...

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasiticdiseases/a/aaich_oodinium.htm

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2016451

http://s.reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9833016

Last edited by a moderator: