Hi! From North Carolina :)

Hi there! I hope you don't frown on this, but, true reefers will totally get it :)

Short story: I live in North Carolina, but have the most amazing daughter ever, in school in Fort Collins. I'll be visiting for a couple weeks at the end of the month (less than 2 weeks away!!!) and, I'll have some down time while she's at work during the day and some evenings. What better way than to spend that time checking out some of the reef life in Colorado! I'll be staying mostly in FoCo, but I'll be spending a few days in Steamboat, and a few days down in Colorado Springs.

I can absolutely ship things back home to a reefer buddy til I get home, so if I see eye candy, I won't have to walk away from it!

Longer story... I've been in the hobby for quite a while, about 20 years or so. 20 years ago, tanks were totally different, and it didn't hold my interest. I really got into it about 12 years ago (ironically enough in CO Springs.) I ran a 120 there for 2 year and totally made every mistake possible. From the WORST possible equipment- to the worst possible livestock choices and habits. I stocked my tank in the course of 2 days by placing 2 HUGE orders from online vendors based on appearance alone. I think back to that time, and cringe.

I broke that tank down and moved to NC. Here, I did a similar thing, but bought a 240 tank that was already running. I had a bazillion leathers, shrooms and euphyllia. I was still burnt from the loss of a ton of livestock on my last tank, so I just had a few damsels and a dragon wrasse (yeah... my son liked his eyes...) There really was no saltwater community in the area I lived in when I first moved to NC... so I stumbled around. THEN! It was like a light went on in my head. I found a local forum! Oh my goodness, I learned so much! I started branching out on other national and international forums (my screen name is the same all over.) I had images of corals and clowns and wrasses dancing in my head! I began trying to upgrade equipment on my 240 and I got it to marginal at best.

I had to move again, so I sold the 240. I moved into an apartment, with an express NO aquariums rule. I made a water "garden" ;) out of a NC12 and thats where I started playing with real corals. This was about 5 years ago or so.

4 years ago, I set up a 180. Most beautiful tank I've ever run. 2 years running.

I had to downsize due to an upcoming move... So.. I built a 60 cube :) I kept all my favorites, and some new favorites... 1 year running before crash while I was on vacation. I lost absolutely everything.

My 60 cube crashed New Years Eve. Cracked return section of the sump, exploded and charred titanium heater, seized return pump... and 50 degrees. It took me six months of a tank of just rock and sand to decide to rebuild. But, I couldn't do it in the 60. I never could convince myself to do it. I sold it, and now set up a RSM 130d because it is an all in one. The sump thing has now scared me to death. The HUGE glaring negative- I lost everything. The relative positive my tank is wide open with possibility.

I am very active in the reefing community here in NC, and am fortunate to now live in an area where there is active trading, swapping and such. But, now... we all have similar pieces... Soooooooooooooooooooo Colorado, show me something unique! Which stores do I need to go to? Who has an amazing tank I just have to see? Who is the local fish nerd crack dealer?

Tess

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blitzburggirl;255614 said:
Oh.. and nice touch calling me detritus ;)
LOL, welcome to the site. Dropping you a PM, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions in this thread.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Nice tanks. Where in NC are you from? I have relatives there and thought about moving there at one point.

Sooooo a definate will be checking in with Gonzo! Apparently the guy has got some good stuff!

Thank you for the PM's :) I know sometimes this topic is touchy LOL

Ailachami- I am in Hillsborough, which is super close to Chapel Hill (Tarheels) and then regionally, Raleigh. It really is a great place to live, and the reef world is up and coming. We do a great show etc... But... nosing around on here.. you guys have a super group of people and some gorgeous builds!

50 posts huh... Hahahaha! You never know! I wanna be an allardi though ;)

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is a list you should pick up while you're out here:

Zoas: The Denver Crowd are the zoa-keepers :p
Rastas
Sunny d's
Red and blue hornets
pink and golds

SPS:
ORA red planet (Josh Gonzalez (Jgonzz) has a bunch of this for sale)
ORA Cali Tort (Great White Aquatics in Fort Collins has tons of frags of this for cheap)
Starburst Monti (The Greeley crowd seem to have a decent amount of this)

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome to our little family we have a great reefing community out here. We also have some great eye candy. I see folks have already pmed you with some good stuff I am sure.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
if you get time you should check out aquaatic art in Highlands ranch..... too,, my wife loves their selection

Welcome, being that you will be in Fort Collins I would suggest making a trip to Great White Aquatics. If you find yourself in the Denver/Aurora area Aquamart and Elite Reef are top of the line retail stores too.

sethsolomon;255627 said:
Also, Grab a Colorado Sunburst BTA while you're out here :p
Hmmm Colorado Sunburst BTA sounds pretty!! I think I'm going to forgo anemones this time around though. As you can tell from my pictures... I do love them. Dearly. I kept a huge LTA (I had it about 5 years total- the new owner killed it :( ) in my 180 (left portion of the picture you can see part of it...) and a huge blue haddoni (still alive and well with a fellow reefer :) ), and I loved them both. In my 60 though, I had my Holy Grail anemone.. my blue gigantea. It truly broke my heart to lose the gigantea in my crash. But I think my tank is going to be different this time around. I know I'm an a coral fiend-I love coral. But I'm still not sure of the fish list for this tank. My favorite fish are pretty much too big for a 34 (I like light stocking) I am heavily leaning towards a good bit of macro algae, some itty bitty brightly colored gobies, and maybe some blue striped pipes.
Side note, Seth, in your signature.. You have a turquoise hammer? My jaw just dropped.

sethsolomon;255630 said:
Here is a list you should pick up while you're out here:

Zoas: The Denver Crowd are the zoa-keepers :p
Rastas
Sunny d's
Red and blue hornets
pink and golds

SPS:
ORA red planet (Josh Gonzalez (Jgonzz) has a bunch of this for sale)
ORA Cali Tort (Great White Aquatics in Fort Collins has tons of frags of this for cheap)
Starburst Monti (The Greeley crowd seem to have a decent amount of this)
I love cali tort... such a pretty growth form! Ahhhhh add Great White to the list!

Thank you guys for some great ideas! WalkPrazz, your avatar is sick!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blitzburggirl;255644 said:
You have a turquoise hammer? My jaw just dropped.!

Yup, If I am in town when you're coming through come by and have a look at it. I purchased it from Josh Gonzalez. He may have some more but idk.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I grew up on the East Coast...never lived in NC, but visited plenty...mostly the Western part of the state in and around Robbinsville and Franklin.

It's the one state on the East Coast that I'd consider moving too if I ever went back out that way. Loved it there.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
sethsolomon;255624 said:
Schedule an appointment with Josh Gonzalez from gonzo's coral frags. Some of the best coral in Northern CO.
+1million, you cannot go wrong at Gonzo's. When down south I would visit ReefKoi and we have Mike at the Coral Shop in between. I would also reccomend mind blowing corals in Broomfield. These are all private local vendors so be sure to set up a time.

If your wanting to visit local fish stores, there Great White up north, Elite Reef in Westminster / Arvada, Aquamart down south.