How to setup a coral quarantine tank?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Two questions: First, I'm looking at the possibility of getting a bunch of montis and zoas at reefed, I've setup a fish quarantine before but haven't done one for corals. Equipment I currently have: 20L, heater, HOB filter, salt, hydrometer, egg crate. I'm not sure what to do with lights, do I get a cheapo CFL setup (5-6K) like I would for a refugium or try to match the light they'll go under in my display (14k 250w metal halide)? How long should I quarantine corals for? Do I quarantine nems?
Second, As I'm in the process of setting up the tanks they'll go in and they could sit for up to two months in quarantine while these stabilize, is 2 months in quarantine a stretch? I also have the possibility of picking up later in the summer to but would still need to setup quarantine then. Thanks!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The main thing I can think of is keep up on your weekly water changes.

Well you could get the same light for your QT. Not sure the cost effectiveness but it would work.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I would say you dont need to QT nems as I would think that would stress them out and potentially kill them since they need well established tanks, plus I have never heard of pests coming in on nems. I could be wrong though.

For lights on the QT, i dont know if you need to match the light exactly, but if you keeping them in there for 2 months I would think you need at least something that is going to give them enough par and spectrum to keep them alive for that long. Maybe a cheap chinese led or a 2 tube t5 fixture would prolly do fine

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
I have a 30 gallon Coral QT setup. After dipping I put the corals in there. I run an old Chinese LED on the tank. I keep a springeri damsel and a yellow coris wrasse along with cleaners to make sure the frags are good to go. After about a month I move them to the DT. Just my method.