Huge crash

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was wondering if anyone has had any issues. I just moved and thought it was a success but I turned on my new sump and it started pumping into the tank and I went to bed. Got home from work today and everything was dead. 1.024 was the salt I checked Ammonia and it was at 0, 8.0 ph, 0 nitrates and nitrites. I just made 40 or more gallons of new salt to run in the new system and added that. The only thing I can think is the water had some other elements in it that killed everything. Any thoughts? Will an RODI unit take everything out of the water? I mean everything... Arsenic, nuclear waste, dead mans stench.... the whole nine yards. Thanks for your insight.

Luke

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
RODI should deal with just about everything as long as the filters are good.

Your levels appear to be good, what was the temp? You didnt list that

You didnt get anyhting in with the rock or sand while moving, cleaning chemicals or anything? Was anything sprayed around the tank and was the tank throughally cleaned after the move, before the re set up?

What type of livestock did you have in the tank. I can probably help you dial this in, but Im gonna need some more info.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think we need a little more info... it's this a new tank or did you do some new plumbing? I nuked a tank once by not letting the plumbing dry enough before running water throigh the pipes

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Luke - Sorry to hear. If you think it might be your RO, check the water with a TDS meter. I know I'm a long way from you, but I have one you could use, or you might be able to find someone up north that has one too. When you get things worked out, please let me know and I'll hook you up with some frags.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
aww MAN! So sorry to hear this. Tagging along in case I can help somehow.

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Water temp on the Digital Aquatics showed about 80 and it is the same old tank. I do not believe anything was sprayed around it. I did however add all new plumbing. New lines and drains and stuff. The cement I used said it dried in 5 min and I gave it about 20 to 25 before starting it up. Do you think that could be the issue? Im ordering new filters now and starting to replenish my 120g of water as soon as they get in. Live stock I had 2 snowflake clowns a bicolor blenny and a yellow tail damsel. A bunch of corals. Mostly lps and softies. Everything is getting dried out as we speak to make sure everything bad is gone!

Luke

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
After reading your last post, I bet it was the cement. What brand/type did you use?

I would think you'd want to wait at least 24 hours, if not longer to let it fully dry and cure before getting it wet.

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dang it!!!! It is the Christies Red Hot Blue Glue. It said it dries in like 5 min. Must not fully cure that fast huh?

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
you might want to dry out the rock (like you're doing) and rinse it in muriatic acid before you add it back in to your tank. I would expect that would help eliminate potential toxins that might be on the surface. And I would do all new sand (I recommend Marco Rocks sand because it's cheap and authentic).

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did you rinse your pipes after cementing? I've read that lots of people have gone with quick set times using this very glue, but they mostly have rinsed without issue.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have always let it cure for 24hrs as well, im guessing a drop of that stuff in your tank would crash it so I would agree and say it was most likely do to the cement. Sorry to hear about this.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hate to say it but I glue stuff and run it within minutes all the time, unless you over glued the pipes I would not think this was the issue. I have accidentally got a few drops in the water and it is much like oil and water it balled up and dried and was easy to remove. On my old 125 I redid all the plumbing and within the hour ran it again no problems. Same with my old 300 did not like the plumbing tore it all out in the basement and put all new in with no issues.

Imo rodi's are a must. You never know what they will put in the water. After all the flooding up north im sure they are dumping chemicals in the water to make it "safe".

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
I can't help but wonder if something got in the tank during the move or the housecleaning process, like someone else mentioned. It sounds like a reaction to a toxin. Or maybe a jolt of stray electricity.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on glue. Never had a problem. I only use the clear stuff from HD and run my system 5 min or so afterwards.

KCCO

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I am not sure what happened but do feel for ya. Sorry this happened. Let us all know if we can be if help with the rebuild. I have some zoas as well as a hammer I could get ya frags of when you are ready. Maybe some other stuff. Trying to rebuild after this summer myself. Sucks!

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did you say "new sump" as in brand new? Did you clean it first before you used it? What did you use? Where did you get the sump from?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I glue and run within about 5 minutes too.

Can you test the ammonia again, as well as the nitrites? If you moved the rock and/or any sand, it will cause a mini cycle.