Interesting photography related thread from reef2reef

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
From reef2reef:

"Exposing the truth: How to take unreal pics with your DSLR!!! -or- You are EXPOSED!"

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ex...ics-with-your-dslr-or-you-are-exposed.213126/

As a photography n00b who does occasionally try to capture pics (and fails often) without my phone (i.e. using an entry level DSLR), I found this thread interesting, if not for "exposing" a trick of deception, but for showing what others do when trying to be honest with their photos.

How do you stay "honest" with your pics (or not!)?

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sometimes you can find a good deal on Craigslist (~$75 with a basic lens), especially for the 'older' entry level stuff (only 8 megapixels?!? What ever shall I do?!?).

The big expense comes in when you start talking speciality lenses, like a nice macro lens...which is why I don't have one!

I've had my DSLR for about 5-6 years now, and I am sure it's outdated as all get-out, but I still enjoy it...even if what I do with it is, at best, considered abuse of equipment.

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I understand that! But, unless you want to make a poster from you photos, 8 megapixels isn't all that bad, especially if the camera is designed to really use the full sensor array.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've found that the best way to capture good colors as you see them is to find something that is white in your tank, i.e. sand or stick a piece of white tubing in there, and then set your camera's wb to that. My camera has a custom wb setup that if I point the camera at something I know is white, it will automatically set the wb based off of that.