Intro, first post, RO/DI question

First post to a great and informative forum!

I just bought my first saltwater setup, a used, already running, rimless 29g BioCube. I've done planted tanks in the past, coworker lured me back into the hobby.

The setup came with an Air, Water & Ice Typhoon III RO/DI system. I've never dealt with one of these before. I changed all the filters, the membrane, and DI media and plumbed it up in my basement. I seem to have just as much water coming out of the waste line, if not more, than out of the primary 'out' line. I'll post a picture of the setup, but of course you wont be able to see all of the connections. I'm just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Don't know incoming PSI, I'll see if I can rig up a gauge in the near future. I bought a 75 GPD membrane, but there's nothing on the setup to say otherwise.

Thanks.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
deboy69;278852 said:
Could be normal most Rodi units are 1 gallon Rodi to 4 gallons of waste. Give or take

KCCO
My bad, somehow I got to thinking waste water was the 1 in the 1:4 ratio.

You can call AW&I to optimize your unit

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

My ratio is definitely off then. Also, 2 of the canisters are leaking around the threads. Is this fairly common? The setup looks like it was well taken care of?

Looks like a nice unit, you will get more waste to RO. as for the leaks they probably need a new seal washer or cleaned. They should be tight and not leaking.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
New o-rings should work. Usually these canisters only need to be hand tight to work and not leak. We usually do an additional 1/4 turn with the supplied plastic wrench. Sweet lookin unit!

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have that same unit. It's completely normal for the waste line to flow a lot more than the clean ro/di line. My ro/di water comes out at a dribble while the waste line is streaming pretty good.

My unit didn't come with o-rings and there are no grooves in either the housing or the cap to fit one. I've always just tightened the caps really well. You might try not using the o-ring and see what happens. I did try using o-rings once for 'added security' and couldn't get them on without having the unit leak. So I went back to not using them.

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Weird, I was just google searching about this unit and o-rings and it seems everyone's unit but mine has the groove and o-rings. My unit is over 10 years old so maybe they switched things up over the years.

I don't know what size o-ring is on the unit but you should be able to find it at Home Depot or Lowes since they carry the 10-inch ro housings. If not there, then definitely Ace Hardware, or if you want to wait Air Water & Ice will have them.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Normal RODI runs 1 part good to 4 parts waste (1:4) with average input water. If the water coming in is very dirty, then you might not even get 1:4.

Some of the newer units run 1:2 with average water. Some of the best unit on the market (read very high priced) claim 1:1.

I bought a SpectraPure unit rated at 1:2. The water in my house seems to be pretty good because my simple test showed I was getting closer to 1:1.7 after original flushing the day I hooked it up. TDS meter in showed about 29ppm and out at 0ppm.

Your milage may vary based on a whole lot on things.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am running a BRS 5 stage with the additional 75 gpd membrane. with the home psi, i get tons of waste, but with the booster pump i can achieve a 1:1 ratio and when i run a mix of warm and cold water I can do a little better than that. BRS recommend 60-70 psi if you are using the 2nd ro membrane and considering that you are taking the waste from one and adding it to the 2nd, it makes sense. I get around 90 psi with the booster.

According to AW&C, I should get 1:3. Also, running without an o-ring doesn't work at all. :shame: I thought I found some Culligan brand o-rings at Ace that were going to work, but they were way too big.

I'll definitely have to look into making it more efficient, but right now I just want it to make water....

FYI #340 O-rings are not correct. I'm thinking one size too big diameter, one size too big cross section. AW&I was no help. I asked them for the o-ring size, and the reply I got was "I believe it is around a 3.5” diameter...." That's verbatim. Apparently the service dept does not correspond with the purchasing dept. The search continues.