Getting Back In and Wanted to Say Hi

Hello all. Getting back into the hobby after about 4 years out. Used to be a part of the SCMAS, but it seems that has merged with our friends up north. Had a new house built here in Colorado Springs and figured why not set up a new tank? Decided to go with ProStar Rimless 150. Equipment is as follows:
  • 2x AI Hydra 32 HD
  • 2x AI Nero 5
  • 1x 800w titanium heater with Ink Bird controller
  • Bubble Magas Curve 7 extreme
  • Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 return pump
  • Tunze Osmolator Universal ATO
  • IM 15 gallon Hydrofill ATO reservoir
  • CaribSea Fiji Pink sand
  • CaribSea Shapes LifeRock
Tank has been filled for over 3 weeks and cycle looks to be complete. However, I leave for Hawaii next week so I am waiting to start stocking until the end of vacation. Plan on having a mixed reef. Following is my first thought on fish stocking, please let me know if you have any suggestions:
  • 2x clowns
  • 1x purple tang
  • 1x fox face
  • 1x copper band butterfly
  • 1x midas Blenny
  • 1x yasha goby with peppermint shrimp
  • 1x wrasse (haven't decided which yet)
Below are a few pictures for attention. Please let me know what you think and feel free to drop any suggestions!

View attachment 20229
View attachment 20230 View attachment 20231 View attachment 20232 View attachment 20233

Thomas Doty

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome back! Nice scape. Stock list sounds great, gotta have a fox face. Butterfly may mess with corals. I have the exact same set up except return pump and love it. Hopefully you don't nuke it with vibrant like I did though lol. Happy reefing, and enjoy the trip! Low key jealous...

Welcome back! Nice scape. Stock list sounds great, gotta have a fox face. Butterfly may mess with corals. I have the exact same set up except return pump and love it. Hopefully you don't nuke it with vibrant like I did though lol. Happy reefing, and enjoy the trip! Low key jealous...
Thank you for the warm welcome! I have been going back and forth about that butterfly, but do love it. Might just be extremely picky if I do end up getting one. Kind of cool you have the same set up. I love it so far. We will see what happens once I turn the lights one. I'm hoping I won't need any vibrant, but only time will tell haha. I'll try to post more pictures once I get the tank stocked a bit.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome back! Tank looks great and can’t wait to see some livestock in there. I just got back from Oahu and it was amazing. Enjoy your vacation, hopefully the whales are just as active for you.

Welcome back! Tank looks great and can’t wait to see some livestock in there. I just got back from Oahu and it was amazing. Enjoy your vacation, hopefully the whales are just as active for you.
Thank you! Can't wait to start throwing stuff in there. Waiting is the hardest part. I was in Oahu last year this time. One nice thing about COVID is all the beaches were pretty empty haha. We hope to catch the tail end of whale season, and I've never been to the big island. So new adventures await!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Welcome back to the addiction! Great start so far, that's a nice clean lookin tank. Look forward to seeing it filled in.
As for SCMAS I wouldn't say they merged really, more like they went inactive, and mostly just fell victims to the rampant FB groups that has claimed so many clubs in the last 5 years or so. Doyle is still around but he really is the only one active from that group anymore. Jared from My Reef to Yours now does the Fragtober fest in the springs. Reef koi still around there too

Welcome back to the addiction! Great start so far, that's a nice clean lookin tank. Look forward to seeing it filled in.
As for SCMAS I wouldn't say they merged really, more like they went inactive, and mostly just fell victims to the rampant FB groups that has claimed so many clubs in the last 5 years or so. Doyle is still around but he really is the only one active from that group anymore. Jared from My Reef to Yours now does the Fragtober fest in the springs. Reef koi still around there too
Thank you! Yeah, it does seem to have gone a bit inactive. I don't feel like the Facebook groups really feel the same, but oh well. I do remember some of those names. And I have been buying corals from Chris at Reefkoi since it was out of his garage. The tank and most equipment was actually bought from his shop. I'm sure he's sick of me at this point haha. I'll have to check out Fragtober fest next year, been years since I've been to one. Do you guys hold meetings or events up north? Could be a good reason to head up north and check out what you guys have to offer! Cheers.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
We do still hold meetings, although we haven't held many since pandemic started, but hoping to get those back on the schedule this spring.