making a sump/refugium and have a question

Ok so I got a 75 gallon tank from a friend but it has a wet dry filter. I am going to make a sump/refugium out of a 29 gallon glass tank but I can't seem to figure out where to get the cut glass at to make the baffles. Any help would be appreciated.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I used aquarium grade acrylic and cut it myself.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Pending flow and pressure (from water height differences) on the baffles acrylic bonded to glass with silicone may hold for a while, but I have read that it fails more often than not. Reefcheif curious how long have you been running your sump like that, as I wanted to use black acrylic myself but was talked out of it.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
CRW Reef;187907 said:
Pending flow and pressure (from water height differences) on the baffles acrylic bonded to glass with silicone may hold for a while, but I have read that it fails more often than not. Reefcheif curious how long have you been running your sump like that, as I wanted to use black acrylic myself but was talked out of it.
Ive been using the same sump for the past 2 years and have had no issues. I had to move 2 of the baffles a couple months ago to accomodate a bigger skimmer for the 180 build and i had a hell of a time getting them out. The trick is to cut the acrylic slightly bigger so it has to bend to go in and put the bend facing against the flow and glue the heck out if it. This way the pressure of the bend is puahing against the flow and the fliw is nit putting pressure in the baffle. If that makes sense. The hard part is keeping the baffles in place with the bend while they are drying. I used some legos, LOL.

Well I went and looked at a 29 gallon tank and it is a lot bigger (taller) than I expected. I think I am going to go with a 20 gallon long instead.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forum Runner

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
kontogsl;187917 said:
It is a fairly big wet dry. About 24 long x 14 high and 7 deep.
Ok. May not be deep( 7")enough.... nearly a 20 long if I remember right though. Have you thought of turning it into a sump/refugium?

WatercolorsGuy;187953 said:
Ok. May not be deep( 7")enough.... nearly a 20 long if I remember right though. Have you thought of turning it into a sump/refugium?
I thought about it but I know nothing about working with acrylic.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
kontogsl;187955 said:
I thought about it but I know nothing about working with acrylic.

That's what I did. I took an Amiracle400 and turned it into a sump/fuge. Acrylic is easy to work with I think.
View attachment 8795
I had room to keep the Bio balls in one section, 1/2-3/4 of them stay submerged depending on water level, I figured if it was a nitrate factory...it was just being utilized by the macro algae. You wouldn't have space to do the balls/sump/fuge but you could probably easily do sump and fuge.
Google "turning wet/dry to refugium" ... plenty of info on it. Might save you a little $$ to put towards something else. If ya do it, I have plenty of acrylic weld you could borrow.

I used a custom glass aquarium and placed acrylic baffles and have not had a problem. I even made a 90 degree ledge to hold egg crate and polyfill for mechanical filtration without problems. I think the acrylic to glass fear is over rated...

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 40 breeder and used 1/2 thick acrylic as baffles. You want to make the acrylic about a 1/16" smaller than the inside width of the tank. Reason being acrylic swells and needs room to swell if there isn't room it will crack the glass tank. Silicone with 100% silicone on both sides of the baffle and there ya go.