Mandarin Goby Breeder

I had a pair of blue mandarins that frequently spawned. I never had time to build an egg catcher, and turning off the return pump would stop their dancing. If you can keep your pod count high, then the mandarins will do their thing. They have quite a wonderful spawning dancing.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I might have some in the future if I can find a pair. keep in touch with me every once and awhile. so far I have yellow watchmans and clowns on my plate.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I have a bonded pair, I dont know if theyve ever spawned or not, they live in the 180 gal DT with my wrasse colony, so Im sure if they have spawned nothing has lasted for very long.

AlgaeBarn;268425 said:
I had a pair of blue mandarins that frequently spawned. I never had time to build an egg catcher, and turning off the return pump would stop their dancing. If you can keep your pod count high, then the mandarins will do their thing. They have quite a wonderful spawning dancing.
I had a pair of Green Mandarins spawning in my shop back in the late 80's! Yes their "dance" is fantastic to witness! The great thing, they did it right up in front of the tank to do their "show". But again didn't have the time than to do anything with the eggs, so didn't have an opportunity to make any attempts to try to raise the young.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I look forward to having a mandarin in my tank, any suggestions on how to find a male and female? Looks like Live aquaria says they sell a pair, but i'm not sure i trust them enough to try it out.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
kmellon;268443 said:
I look forward to having a mandarin in my tank, any suggestions on how to find a male and female? Looks like Live aquaria says they sell a pair, but i'm not sure i trust them enough to try it out.
You really cannot tell until they reach maturity. Basically a mature male will have a much larger spine than a mature female. The spine on my male is about twice the size of the females and they are very similiar in size body wise, the female also does not display her spine like the male does.

Ive also read that females will not have spines, I can tell you this is ocmpletley un true, my female does have one, its much smaller, but she does have one