Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
View attachment 14252
Goal

To document, educate, and show, new, and seasoned alike, different techniques, and methods of successful reefing. This is about 25% to show off what you can do, and about 75% to show results over time.

Overview
Set up a fresh/new reef tank, and grow it out, for one year. Document every two weeks in a build thread. Spending cap at $1000 on the year - this is about $80 a month. Winners will get a chance to host a meeting, and will be asked to give a talk about their process and approach at Reef ED or Coral Extravaganza

Timeline
You may enter now, and start collecting the gear for your build, but you may not start setting it up until the contest officially starts.
The build-off will officially start at Reef Ed (date TBD, sometime in April/May) and will run the full year until the next ReefED.

PRIZES
In addition to winning the prestige of 'Colorado's Best Build' title, the top 3 finishers will split the cash pool 60/30/10. Each participant must contribute $75 to the pool to enter the competition, so the more participants the BIGGER the pool! And if that isn't enough to get you excited, how about a;
- EcoTech Radion gen4 XR30w PRO for 1st place (Brought to you by LandLocked Reef) and a;
- Kessil A360WE Tuna Blue for 2nd place (Brought to you by Kessil) and a;
- Gift Card Pack worth $200 for 3rd place

Commitment
  • $75 buy-in, for members. $99 for non-members. $75 dollars for each contestant goes into the cash pool. $24 of the non-member price goes toward a 1 year membership.
  • Must set up a build thread, and update it at least every two weeks with progress
  • Must post build threads in the tank builds section HERE, with the Build thread titled "USERNAME build-off competition entry"
  • Must keep track of spending
  • Can only spend a max of $1000 for the year
  • First post of each thread should have a current FTS and an inventory of the spending for a quick view
  • Must answer questions about your tank, methods and setup

Rules
  • Max tank size is 60g. No restrictions on dimensions, or shape but cannot be any larger the 60g.
  • Have to use a reasonable price for items that you use, live and dry - used is fine, but be honest about the price you paid for it and where you acquired it from.
  • No donations - this is not about who has the best friends, it is about somebody honestly doing something that is repeatable. If you get any DBTC or other free stuff, you must deduct the fair market value for it from your yearly budget, and must disclose it in your build thread. This goes the same for any gear, or dry goods.
  • Stands don't count towards your cap - some tanks can just sit on a countertop/floor, but some people will be tempted to use cheap junk to say on budget. Be safe and sound, so don't worry about cost here.
  • Incidental stuff like RO water, electricity, test kits and other stuff like spray paint and masking tape to paint the back of a tank should not be counted. You can use scissors that you already have or some super glue. There is no way to really measure this... just be reasonable and fair about the "free" stuff that you use.
  • Stuff like tank, pumps, lights, salt, sand, rock, livestock, etc. all counts. Even if you kill it, it still counts.
  • You cannot sell stuff out of your tank for more money during the competition - this is a hobby tank, not a business
  • Everybody understands that you are not a professional photographer, so just do your best with a camera phone - This will not be held against you, but recommend that you use gel filters, or any of the new camera apps to help you present your tank in the best way possible.
  • $1000 budget cap on the year. You can spend this however, and whenever you want, and you don't need to spend all of it, but don't spend over it.
  • If you get selected as a finalist, then you must present your methods and approach at the designated club meeting and award ceremony.
  • Anyone deemed to be violating any of these rules will be disqualified, and will forfeit their buy in.
Judging and scoring
  • 80% of a participants score will be based on results. Aquascape, design, growth, colors, and general health of the system will all be taken into account for this
  • 10% of a participants score will be about their willingness to help others learn from their method(s)
  • The remaining 10% of the score will be about sustainability. Builds should be built to last, and be sustained over a long period. Using tank bred, and aquacultured corals also count toward this part of the score.
Judges
  • There will be 5 designated judges. At least 2 of the judges must be BOD members, and remaining 3 can be a club member who is not participating in the competition, and has has kept a reef tank for at least 5+ yrs.
  • Each judge will monitor, evaluate, and score each participant. Scores will be tallied at the end of the competition. Highest 3 win.
  • BOD judges will handle any disputes, violations or disqualifications
Most Important
The goal of this is that if somebody sees your setup after one year, that they will have nearly everything that they need in your thread to get the same results. This is about the people that are watching, not proving how awesome you are, so be honest, helpful and think of a potential person whom might see your setup, and get into the hobby. This can do a lot of good to show folks that you don't have to have a fortune to be good at this.

Participants
- jda123 (not-paid)
- kchristensen8064 (paid)
- kickyfeet (paid)
- Synden (paid)
- JuanGutz (paid)
- neil32(paid)
- milehightides (paid)

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ReefED might be a few months out yet, but get your entries in, and start collecting your gear, as sign up will be closed as soon as the contest starts at the event. Don't wait, start planning now.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are conversions allowed? My biocube is currently a QT tank and I would be willing to get in on this if I am allowed to drain it and start it up as a reef tank for the competition, but not if I need to buy a whole new tank, lights, etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Are conversions allowed? My biocube is currently a QT tank and I would be willing to get in on this if I am allowed to drain it and start it up as a reef tank for the competition, but not if I need to buy a whole new tank, lights, etc.

I think you can use your used equipment, you would just need to subtract fair market value from your initial $1000.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster

YEp you can use gear and stuff you already have, but have to deduct a fair market price for it from the total spend amount

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
What would be the best way to go about figuring out fair market value is? I bought a 30 gallon oceanic cube for $20 that I might give this a go with, but I feel like that was a good deal.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
What would be the best way to go about figuring out fair market value is? I bought a 30 gallon oceanic cube for $20 that I might give this a go with, but I feel like that was a good deal.
I would say do an average price of what you would sell it for on craiglist or the like. If you are unsure still, then put up a post on the boards with a poll and let the members help you determine what the price should be

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just use some common sense, IMO. Used tanks are notoriously cheap, so if somebody wanted to use a 30 gallon for $20 that they got at a garage sale, thrift store or craigs list, then cool. I got a standard 20 gallon tank once for like $1.99 at GoodWill. However, if you want to tell me that you got a Orhpek Atlantik V4 Light, LifeReef or Bubble King skimmer, Full-Blown Apex or a Red Dragon DC pump at GoodWill for $10, then I would probably not buy that.

I have found Reef Metal Halides at thrift stores for less than $20, Mag Drive pumps for $5, MaxiJets and Submersible Heaters and even a ASM Skimmer Body, but most people can believe all of this.

Is there going to be a sub-forum for these build threads?

Can we link a public Google Spreadsheet for our spending? This might keep it cleaner.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have a question and my disqualify me. Can I plumb this into my current sump and just add dollars for the pump and rock and such. I have to ask this question because with as much as I travel there is no feasible way to have some one top off the build tank.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have a question and my disqualify me. Can I plumb this into my current sump and just add dollars for the pump and rock and such. I have to ask this question because with as much as I travel there is no feasible way to have some one top off the build tank.

Extremely doubtful.

Though there is a very easy solution for your predicament. An ATO and reservoir. Should only add 50-70 bucks to the budget if you get a used JBJ. 100 if you went tunze.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just use some common sense, IMO. Used tanks are notoriously cheap, so if somebody wanted to use a 30 gallon for $20 that they got at a garage sale, thrift store or craigs list, then cool. I got a standard 20 gallon tank once for like $1.99 at GoodWill. However, if you want to tell me that you got a Orhpek Atlantik V4 Light, LifeReef or Bubble King skimmer, Full-Blown Apex or a Red Dragon DC pump at GoodWill for $10, then I would probably not buy that.

I have found Reef Metal Halides at thrift stores for less than $20, Mag Drive pumps for $5, MaxiJets and Submersible Heaters and even a ASM Skimmer Body, but most people can believe all of this.

Can we link a public Google Spreadsheet for our spending? This might keep it cleaner.
Maybe we should standardize for values of stuff since "fair market" is so wild. Something like used price cannot be less than half of the current sale price or sale price when last sold or discontinued. Same for corals. If Aquatic art sells a 3/4" frag of oregon tort for $50, one fragged from your main tank or traded with a buddy should still be values at least $25.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster

Yep, I agree about using your best judgement for equipment. If there is an issue about it, the BOD will discuss and inform you. If you arent sure you can always msg me, or make a post and ask.
I will consider a sub forum if we have enough participants to warrant it, but for now planning to just use the Tank builds forum
For the spread sheet you should be able to use the "Upload_images" button, or just add a link to the spreadsheet url. Be sure its publicly available though

No, sorry cant plumb into an existing system, as that would kind of give you an unfair advantage with stability.
"The goal of this is that if somebody sees your setup after one year, that they will have nearly everything that they need in your thread to get the same results. This is about the people that are watching, not proving how awesome you are, so be honest, helpful and think of a potential person whom might see your setup, and get into the hobby. This can do a lot of good to show folks that you don't have to have a fortune to be good at this."

Maybe we should standardize for values of stuff since "fair market" is so wild. Something like used price cannot be less than half of the current sale price or sale price when last sold or discontinued. Same for corals. If Aquatic art sells a 3/4" frag of oregon tort for $50, one fragged from your main tank or traded with a buddy should still be values at least $25.

It would be entirely to hard to setup a standardized list of everything you could put in your tank. If arent sure what to charge yourself for it, then ask, but otherwise use your best judgement, be honest, and go with a general price that you might see another hobbyist selling it for normally. Doesnt need to be retail price, unless that is what you paid for it. If we think you under priced it, we will let you know.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It would be entirely to hard to setup a standardized list of everything you could put in your tank. If arent sure what to charge yourself for it, then ask, but otherwise use your best judgement, be honest, and go with a general price that you might see another hobbyist selling it for normally. Doesnt need to be retail price, unless that is what you paid for it.
I wasn't referring to standardizing what you could use. Just standardizing realistic limits on the value of used gear to avoid the whole "I found this 500W titanium heater at a yard sale for 5 bucks" since fair market has such a huge range and is so subjective. I have found tons of scenarios where someone sold an apex classic for like $200 because they needed it gone quick and others charging $500 when they go for $550 new.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I also wasnt talking about standardizing what you can use, but there is no possible way to make a standardized list of the value of all items or livestock prices that you can put in your tank. If you legitimately found a heater in a garage sale for $5 then that is what you paid for it, and what you should charge yourself for it. Just note that you found in a garage sale for that price. The charging yourself fair market value mostly pertains to things that you got as a dbtc or for free, as you are required to charge a fair price for those. Doesnt need to be a retail price, or anything like that, unless its brand new, but need to somewhere near what you would pay for that on a normal basis. If you are way off base on it, I will let you know.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
When we did this a few times in my old club, the judges could always tell who was pushing the limits and then factored everything into their ratings and judgements. It is believable that somebody might have got a $5 heater at a garage sale, but if you got all of equipment at a garage sale all for really cheap, then that is suspect... unless it has like blue gravel in it and a pirate ship. Get a photo. This stuff is easy to document.... same with Craigs List. You can get some good deals on some of the basics on CraigsList, especially with this much time to plan and accumulate things.

If anybody thinks that they are going to be spending a lot of money on Apex or other expensive and still having enough left over to finish the year, then they will surprise me. One of the best things about this is that you can show people how to have a really nice tank without spending a lot of money and not using a lot of the stuff that people only really use for themselves or convenience, yet everybody thinks that it is necessary. For example, I like to always dual control my heaters with a good, quality controller (not an apex or inkbird), but I doubt that I will be able to afford a Ranco for this project even at $80-100, so I will just have to size the heater "barely big enough" and live with it. Is a heater controller really necessary? No, for sure it is not... but it can be added later. Adding water from a bucket or dosing 2 part by hand might be everybody's choice instead of spending money on an ATO or a doser - and people might learn how nice it is to actually look at your tank every day instead of automating everything. The choices are endless, which is why this can be so great.

BTW - I stopped into the thrift store in Loveland yesterday and they had a 55g tank for $4.99... with under gravel filters & air pump, plastic lid and Visitherm heater. :) ...probably most of what you need to do a Fish-Only for this contest.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I'm sorry, I might of missed it, but 1000 max that includes livestock?
yep includes livestock, only the stand is not included in the price cap, but if it goes in the tank it counts