fish compatibility, wrasses, gobies, blennies

Kinda like the title reads, I have a 40G with a 30 sump, almost exclusively SPS tank. Am looking for more fish to help feed corals with waste, but tangs and other long range swimming fish are out due to tank size (though I had an amazing smaller purple tang in a 40g that I got from petco for $100 and kept for a couple years before I sold the livestock and tank and moved.) I've had a tailspot blenny in every tank (ecsenius sp.) just wondering if anyone else has had success with multiple blennies in a smaller tank of the same species. I'd love a midas, but worry that the tailspot and midas are of same family. I have a yellow watchman, and will probably get a pistol shrimp and another goby paired, any worries there? Any other ideas for fish for a smaller tank, am looking at a candy hog, a hawkfish, and a fairy wrasse (have a carpenters flasher now.) Let me know, but any ideas here in the reasonably priced range are appreciated.

Tinyreef

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pair of clowns is my go to for smaller tanks. Cheap and easy to get a mated pair out of. Long lifespan too.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kinda like the title reads, I have a 40G with a 30 sump, almost exclusively SPS tank. Am looking for more fish to help feed corals with waste, but tangs and other long range swimming fish are out due to tank size (though I had an amazing smaller purple tang in a 40g that I got from petco for $100 and kept for a couple years before I sold the livestock and tank and moved.) I've had a tailspot blenny in every tank (ecsenius sp.) just wondering if anyone else has had success with multiple blennies in a smaller tank of the same species. I'd love a midas, but worry that the tailspot and midas are of same family. I have a yellow watchman, and will probably get a pistol shrimp and another goby paired, any worries there? Any other ideas for fish for a smaller tank, am looking at a candy hog, a hawkfish, and a fairy wrasse (have a carpenters flasher now.) Let me know, but any ideas here in the reasonably priced range are appreciated.
Maybe fire fish or chromis

Thanks, I had a clown once, and he loved to nip constantly at me while doing anything in the tank, and he was 2 inches long tops.... Any clowns that are actually afraid of things 100x their size? I'd love to be able to stick a frag in place still if I do add a clown.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, I had a clown once, and he loved to nip constantly at me while doing anything in the tank, and he was 2 inches long tops.... Any clowns that are actually afraid of things 100x their size? I'd love to be able to stick a frag in place still if I do add a clown.
Funny man cause clowns can be hit or miss if they have a nem they will defend

Fair enough Haddoni.... I've had some random carpet surfers back in the day, glad to have the screen in place to keep wrasses and future hawks without becoming carpet acclimated fish.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
possum wrasses and clown gobies are two of my favorites for smaller tanks.

ianryd

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a tailspot and midas in the same tank, they get along fine, but it is a 150, and the midas is waaay bigger. I did have a problem with the tailspot bullying my yellow watchman goby in that tank though. They decided to camp out in the same area and the tsb didnt like it. Ended up putting ymg in my 20 gal with clowns and a clown goby and hes happy in there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app