AEFW

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Introduction of holichores wrasses and daily basting of corals, problem solved.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Arrow crabs, wrasses, peppermint shrimp and natural methods can work OK when they can get into all of the spaces, usually with frags. There is no way that a baster, wrasse, shrimp or anything else can get into a cantaloupe sized colony to get them out.

Slow and steady should get this done. Some people have strained out the pulp and let a doser do the dirty work.

I've got a yellow coris wrasse, 2 springer damsels, and a scooter blenny. I'm certain they've been keeping them at bay since it took me a week to actually find a flatworm after noticing the bite marks.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They can hang on pretty hard. Sometimes, they will not even baste off without blasting off tissue from the acropora. I tend to think that for every one that you basted off, there are 5 more that held on.

Dip in Revive or CoralRx will get them to loosen their hold, but this is a harsh dip for lots of acropora (do not dip smoothskin or deepwaters in this since they tend to die at a higher rate). Bayer dip will knock them off too, but then you cannot see the worms in the milky water.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Arrow crabs, wrasses, peppermint shrimp and natural methods can work OK when they can get into all of the spaces, usually with frags. There is no way that a baster, wrasse, shrimp or anything else can get into a cantaloupe sized colony to get them out.

Slow and steady should get this done. Some people have strained out the pulp and let a doser do the dirty work.
Strongly disagree from a professional stand point. Ive beat AEFW in numerous tanks with wrasses and basting. And Im only able to baste once a week with maintenance visits. Any hobbiest who has the availability to baste the tank daily should have no problem beating AEFW.
Theres also numerous members of this club who have taken my advice and beaten them this way as well.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Yoy of course can start oulking corals and dipping, doesnt kill the eggs and tends to further stress corals, or theres always the option of dumping shit directly into your tank, which I NEVER reccomend unless its a last ditch effort, and again, is only going to further stress your livestock.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Again, I do not have any idea how you baste into the middle of a basketball. I am glad that this worked for you, but I have literally not ever heard of it doing any more than just keeping them at bay and lessening the damage... never eradication. I have no idea how basting kills the eggs either. Dr. Rawlinson has documented that the real AEFW (Prosthiostomum acroporae) can swim, crawl and live for weeks getting back to their hosts. There are other types of worms that are easier to kill that act similar and bit acropora (UWC Purge works on them, but not Prosthiostomum acroporae) so perhaps we are talking about different critters. I have seen peppermint shrimp eat eggs that are exposed, but they cannot climb into the middle of a colony either.