New tank setup RS Reefer 170

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm back in with a Reefer 170. My previous 90 gallon setup was broken down and sold off after we moved. Downsizing for now. Need to keep things simple and easy to maintain.

The tank and stand were super easy to setup. It feels like cheating! I'm used to DIY for everything. I made a little basket out of egg crate to grow mangroves in. We'll see how it goes.

Equipment:
Sicce syncra silent 2.0 return pump
Bubble magnus curve 5 skimmer
Ecotech MP40
AI prime HD
Apex Jr
Eheim heaters (2)

Most of this equipment was pulled over from the previous setup. Everything but the skimmer and return pump. The AI prime came off the 10 gallon cube I had going for the build contest.

I sold or rehomed some of the livestock from previous tank, but I kept some corals, anemones, and clownfish pair.

I'll post pics now of starting up the tank and then get some updated photos with livestock posted soon. I moved the livestock in on Sunday. Tank started up with water, sand, rock on 2/22.

Thanks for looking.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The tank is having issues. I believe it is dinos. Been fighting with this for a few months now. Doesn't respond to chemiclean. Tried black out and h2o2 dosing. Set them back for sure, but did not resolve. I've been running the tank 'dirty'. Added a couple fish (green chromis) and pulled the skimmer. Vacuuming the sand with weekly water changes. I also did a 'rip clean' about 6 weeks ago by removing rocks from display and cleaning with brush etc. Removed mangrove from sump and grow light. It was growing a bunch of yuck down there.

I'll post a few photos from past few months...

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
The uglys are no fun. Stick with it though, you'll get it. I'd try a UV sterilizer if you thinks its dinos. Many types of dinos release into the water column during the night so UV sterilizers can work pretty good

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm also now dosing microbacter 7. I was previously using vibrant, but it didn't seem to help as much. The bottle was about 3 years old, so maybe it was past it's prime.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The uglys are no fun. Stick with it though, you'll get it. I'd try a UV sterilizer if you thinks its dinos. Many types of dinos release into the water column during the night so UV sterilizers can work pretty good
This stuff is royal PITA! I do have UV on order which I hope can knock this stuff down for good. I'm running carbon to help remove potential toxins released from dino. Should I start using skimmer too (with UV treatment) or keep running without it?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Neil this tank was start in February correct?

Did you use dry rock.?

What kind of sand did you use?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk