New to saltwater

I've had freshwater in the past but always wanted a saltwater tank. I finally decided to give it a try. I have a 100 gallon long tank with a 20 gallon sump that I made. Its been set up for a few weeks now and everything seems to be good. I used live rock and live sand. I added some snails and few hermits to clean up some algae. I think I am ready to add some corals. I've been told that [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]starting with mushrooms, zoanthids, and leathers would be good. Anyone know where I can find some decently priced frags or have any for sale? or any other suggestions for beginner coral?

I am also curious what fish are good to keep. I want a pair of clownfish, but pretty open after that. Are there any suggestions on good colorful fish to keep?

any help would be appreciated!

thanks

Rich
[/FONT]

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! Where in town are ya? We have tons of great local vendors - some of the best in the nation!

Hello Rich!

Welcome to the marine side! I'm sure where you live however here at Aquamart in Lakewood we have a large selection of frags and colonies to choose from. Check out our website and we post weekly updated live stock videos on MASC for all to view.

Aquamart Team
3255 S. Wadsworth Blvd.
Lakewood CO 80227
303-716-5700

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome Rich!! We are fortunate to have great venders, locally, and all the sponsors on the site are worth the drive eventually, even if not directly local to your area. If you can, the meeting / show, this Sunday is worth attending, you would be pleasantly overwhelmed with coral, and knowledge.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome: to the addiction and to MASC. Like others have said we have some great vendors but we also have a great group here on MASC. Post up a build thread for your tank and many of us would be happy to help guide you along

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Welcome Rich. I've seen a lot of ORA or Sustainable Aquatics clownfish around in different shops. Certainly worth looking into when you are ready for fish. Remember to check into the "reef safeness" of fish before you bring them home, not all fish will appreciate your corals as much as you do! What part of town are you in?

Hey Rich! Glad to hear you're coming into the world of reef aquariums! We're a pretty new shop in the Denver area, but we have a lot of experience in the hobby. The owner has over 20 years worth, and so do many of the employees! We're more than happy to give you any tips or advice that you might be looking for, or just to chat about your new tank. We currently have a lot of coral and fish at some very good prices, and we'll be having our Grand Opening on Black Friday where you'll be able to get most things in our shop for even cheaper! (30% off of fish for instance). Also, MASC members get 10% off at our store any other time. So definitely check us out. To give you an idea as to what we have now, I've listed a few things you might be interested in:

Frags: Acans, Rainbow Acans, Chalices, Favias, Gonis, and Zoas from $20-$40,
We have Purple Hornet Zoas and Ironman Acans, as well as many others

Colonies: Frogspawn, Toxic Hammers, Torches, Acan, War Coral, Zoas, Chalices, Fungias and Favias anywhere from $50 and up

Clownfish: Davincis, Picassos, Black Darwins, Snowflakes, Ocellaris, Red Sea, Pink Skunk; our Ocellaris start at $8 each, which is a great price for these fish.

For starting a tank, Damsels could also be good. We have some Golden Damsels for $3. You could also try Banggai Cardinals ($15) or Scissortail Gobies ($10).

If you find yourself in the area and want to come by, we could definitely help you out with a few suggestions. It's Stone Aquatics in Englewood. We're on Broadway between Hampden and Girard on the west side of the street.

I went to Stone Aquatics and got a picasso and davinci clownfish and a yellow tang. Nice place and will be great when they get everything ready for the grand opening! Friendly and helpful staff! So far everything is going good. I think I will wait a week or so and decide what I want to add next. I still have to try to get and add some frags.

sounds good. I do need to wait on my patience. I have none! here is my tank. I have orbit marine led lights, do they look like they are bright enough for coral growth? in this picture they are at max intensity.[attachment=68071:name]