Peacock Mantis Help

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
Okay. I bought cooked frozen seafood mix. I've tried calamari, shrimp, mussels, and octopus. He will grab it and then brings it to the front of the tank and spits it out. HELP!!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Tried live versions of any of those? How long you had him? Was he eating previously?

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
I've had him about a week and a half. Trying to find out what he was eating previously. Haven't tried live versions. There are snails and crabs in the tank so I'm not sure if he's eating those.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya if there is food and he wont eat it then wait for him to get hungry enough to do so. If he is sick there really is nothing you can do for him. He is invertebrate and any fish treatments will likely kill him. Mantis shrimp are famously very hardy though so your chances are good that he will eat when he is ready.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
sweat044;n637690 said:
Okay. I bought cooked frozen seafood mix. I've tried calamari, shrimp, mussels, and octopus. He will grab it and then brings it to the front of the tank and spits it out. HELP!!
When these are cooked it take the nutrients out of them try in cooked maybe

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Could you tell us about the tank? When you bought him did he have any shell wrought?
I really suggest doing a lot of research on them. They can be very hard to care for if not given the right environment.

One thing that never failed me was a live shrimp. He loved going after them.

Last edited by a moderator:

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
So I've tried raw shrimp and he won't touch it. He has killed all the snails and crabs which I knew he would. He is in a 29 gallon biocube right now. He is going into a 40 gallon breeder soon. I tun the lights for an hour in the morning and an hour at night. No sign of shell rot. I've done a lot of research. Just not sure what else to try feeding him.. just need some info.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
well if he is killing the crabs and snails, then I would say thats what to feed him. Just do a few snails and hermits every month or so until you can get him to eat something frozen.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been a while so I may remember wrong but I gave mine like half a frozen one bi daily. RC mantis section might help for more info and ideas.

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
Okay. Tried a scallop today and he held it for a bit and then just spit it out. What am I missing. I've done tons of research and just losing my mind! !!!

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sweat044;641278 said:
What do you feed yours and how often?
Sorry I didn't see this, I got rid of mind awhile ago but I honestly have it a lot of turbo snails to keep it from getting bored. Other wise it would tunnel thru rock all night and you could hear it. I fed mine raw shrimp and he would always take it. See if you can find some live ghost shrimp locally and then thawed frozen. I'm not to sure just going to have to be persistent. I'd put mine on the end of a wooden stick and wiggle it around and he wouldn't hesitate.