Pump died

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm done with Reeflo. 2nd pump in a year.

What's a better option?

I had the Trident, as I need to pump from basement to 1st floor.

Looking for something quickly...

Ideally need 1.5" feed and return to swap it in.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Everybody laughs at me, but I have ampmasters running since the 1990s with no issues. I still like Iwakis, Maks and even Danner.

My favorite right now are Laguna Max Flow.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have a waveline 10000 in my basement. Works fine for my application. No word on longevity as it's only a few months old.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a Coralvue Reef Octopus DC 10500 that is brand new. It is supposedly the same as the Jeabo with a different color body. I bought it for a basement/main-level return and it quit after 6 months. I got a new one with no issue from CoralVue (they were really good), but I am not trusting it for a return ever again - I might use it on a skimmer, or something.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How long can I circulate water in display not tied into my sump?

I have 3 powerheads running, and heaters as well.

6 fish, modest CUC, and tons of zoas...

Sump in basement is offline.

How long can I run before I run into issues?

It oxygenation the only issue?

Micheal

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ran for a couple weeks with the sump offline when my sump cracked and I was waiting on replacement. Had no issues, other than doing a 5 gal water change every other day. I run the Jebao DC12000. I personally love it, quiet, controllable, good flow, I don't think it would work for pumping from a basement sump though

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Assuming that you don't have any supplemental life forms needing fuel/food from either/or, like a bacterial bed in the main tank need carbon from a bio pellet reactor in the basement OR a fuge in the basement needing fuel from the display, then you can run like that for as long as you like. Otherwise, I would cut it down to 8 or 12 hours... short enough so that you should at least have a Mag 18 or 24 on the shelf to hook up in a time of need while you wait on a backup.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
For what its worth my old SPS dominated tank ran sump less and skimmer less for almost 3 years before I broke it down.

I just ran carbon and GFO in a TLF reactor hanging off the side of the tank. So I would think you should be just fine.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool, new pump will be in Thursday. I can do a water change tonight and Wednesday to be safe.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you getting a replacement trident? I had 2 fail in a basement sump setup, so it sounds to me like they don't like to run with high head. I hope your running something different, I would not trust these pumps. I switched to an Iwaki 75, no problems so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm getting their Goby pump as a replacement under warranty, and looking into the Dolphins as well.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Holy smokes, look at the size of the replacement pump Reeflo sent me (old Trident pump on left):

[attachment=66914:name]

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hopefully this one is more reliable :) Not sure where the trident fits in as far as design goes, but it sounds like they've been having issues all around with their "blowhole" style pumps.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Wow quite the size dif

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, to be honest, their BH and Trident series really lacked some QC. I think the larger traditional pumps have faired much better. I must say, even with all the QC issues, Reeflo customer service has been top notch.

It will not work, but they went with hokey non-standard plumbing on the BH and Trident pumps which made it a PAIN. This new goby is normal threads, and easily picked up at HD.