tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its purple algae good or bad ? :nerd:

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
in sand, on glass? soft, hard? Cyano, smeary soft stuff on rock or sand=bad hard encrusting on glass and rock=good. hard to know without more info.

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It star on my sump and now its on my tank rock and sand

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pics would be good and a description of where your noticing the algae. Coralline algae is usually a purple hard algae that covers rocks, tank, equipment and generally is good though you have to clean it off the display areas every once in a while. The bad type of reddish/purple algae can be cyanobacteria which means you should check your parameters, especially phosphates.

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can you blow it off with a turkey baster? if so, more likely cyano, especially if you notice it on your sand.

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's covering my rocks just a little bit on my sand

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
A guy on aquamart give me a purple rock he say it will take a year to cover my other rock s but this is getting cover faster then expected

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
how old is the tank? in addition to phosphates low water movement can lead to "bad" algae as well. so. age, params (alk, calcium, ph and the other big 3..amonia, nitrate, nitrite), phosphate, water movement... all things to look at. once we find the cause we can look into the cure.

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
purple algae

That's cyano. How often and how much are you feeding? How often are your lights on? The purple on the rocks he sold you is coraline algae. It won't come off.

David

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I try to blow it of bit doesn't come out of my rock or sand

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
4 months I only have my lights on for 8 hours

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I only feed 1 other day and only 8 pellets

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
purple algae

You have a young tank. Your going to have algae blooms. You say it doesn't move, does it look like this pic?

David