Scratch removal

apex_seeking

Cleaner Shrimp
Just picked up a bow front and after getting it cleaned up, I noticed that there were some scratches.

I know I can get cerium oxide to buff out some of the shallow scratches but I was wondering if anyone has used a company to remove scratches from a tank before. Or if anyone can recommend someone.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
IME There is little to nothing you can do about scratches on glass, especially on a bow front. The shallow ones can be buffed out with ALOT of work but the deeper ones are much harder, and trying to grind them out on a bow front would likely cause larger distortions in the glass, which would be visible when the tank is filled.
That being said, most if not all the scratch will likely disappear once you fill the tank. Water has a way of hiding most of those

apex_seeking

Cleaner Shrimp
That’s the info I was looking for. I had a feeling that a lot will hide with water.

I did find a guy who says that he can get out scratches from anything, and he’s done many tanks that turned out great. His price was pretty steep for my situation but if anyone is interested, I can pass on the info. Just pm me.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Truth is, I think I might end up just building my own tank again. The last tank I built turned out pretty good and I’ll just be happier if it’s the setup I want vs trying to make something else work. The scratches might just be the last straw.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I’ve noticed the same about deeper scratches disappearing with the addition of water but I’ve also noticed that they create a great spot for algae to grow.