something eating my xenia

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a traditional cuc plus 2 emerald crabs and a coral banded shrimp. 2 clowns, a lawnmower blenny and a six line. What could be eating my xenia? Thought it was the shrimp but my larger emerald was by it this am when I checked the tank.

Also anyobe have some white xenia theyd let go for a decent price?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Before you even mentioned seeing the emerald crab next to it, that would've been my guess. I've had a couple in my tank and both have turned into coral picking nuisances. The one that's in my tank now wasn't actually eating the coral for a while, but would pick at the tentacles on my duncan; then just a couple days ago I saw him pull a zoa plug off a rock and start yanking at the polyps...when I tried to retrieve the plug he latched onto it and tried to drag it into his cave. My previous emerald crab went to town on a perfectly healthy frag of frogspawn before I got rid of him.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalgra;200532 said:
Emeralds must be hit or miss I have two and they only stick the the occasion sprig of hair algae.
Mine was a model citizen for like 3 months. When nuisance algae was low he'd just go for my macro...turned into a jerk just a few weeks ago; same happened with the first one I had.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;200537 said:
Mine was a model citizen for like 3 months. When nuisance algae was low he'd just go for my macro...turned into a jerk just a few weeks ago; same happened with the first one I had.
Happened to me a few times as well... No more for me!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have heard this many times and no doubt that's probably the culprit. Ive been lucky however. I have virtually no algae anywhere anymore since running an ATS and my two just keep to themselves. I feed a huge variety of foods however so maybe thats why they havent gone rogue. Iv had them about 8 months.

Now watch Ill come home to my fav zoas missing. lol

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't have any nusance algae. My tank is too clean lol. Shut my skimmer down 3 days ago to try to get some to grow, and maybe save my corals. I also lost a 3polyp frag of pink lemonades a week ago. Might be time to fish my emerald out. Should I remove my filter pads too?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalgra;200547 said:
I have heard this many times and no doubt that's probably the culprit. Ive been lucky however. I have virtually no algae anywhere anymore since running an ATS and my two just keep to themselves. I feed a huge variety of foods however so maybe thats why they havent gone rogue. Iv had them about 8 months.

Now watch Ill come home to my fav zoas missing. lol
Lol I don't know what their deal is. Since adding a GFO reactor algae is pretty much non existent in my tank as well...the macro does a good job of outcompeting everything that might pop up...I even got my cyano to finally disappear. I do occasionally get some green algae on the glass, but the snails clean that up fairly well.

I feed Rods, Elite Reef's mix, reef nutrition pellets, and keep the macro within reach of the emerald. I feed small amounts 2-3 times a day now, and figured maybe he'd behave with a good mix of regular feedings. Nope.

I did hear that once they get to a "large" adult size they start to get unruly. I don't know if it's a general lack of food or something missing from their diet once they get to that size that makes them turn on coral...but so far I'm 2 for 2 on that front. My current emerald has molted 3 times and is pretty large now; my old one acted up when he got to be about the same size.

If I could catch this ****** he'd be in my coral-free 20 long right now.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hmmm maybe I should pull mine. I finally got my tank doing well the last thing I need is this problem. I do have a 2200mw laser though I use for aiptasia if they get out of line they will get the death ray right between the eyes!

I have a pistol shrimp that keeps eating my emerald crabs..........if I could catch the little s... I'd love to loan him out!

cindys;200600 said:
I have a pistol shrimp that keeps eating my emerald crabs..........if I could catch the little s... I'd love to loan him out!
Got him from Key's about a year ago.........he's even trying to eat my sand-sifting stars!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Kalgra;200580 said:
I do have a 2200mw laser though I use for aiptasia if they get out of line they will get the death ray right between the eyes!
Sweet!!! Where did you buy the laser and does it work well?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalgra;200580 said:
hmmm maybe I should pull mine. I finally got my tank doing well the last thing I need is this problem. I do have a 2200mw laser though I use for aiptasia if they get out of line they will get the death ray right between the eyes!
Lol sorry didn't mean to scare ya! I had read about them being old grumpy bastards but decided to try anyway...and pretty much confirmed that I won't be using them in the future.

Laser sounds like a great idea...skewering was pretty ineffective, lol.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;200609 said:
Sweet!!! Where did you buy the laser and does it work well?
Yeah it works really well. I can burn just about anything with it instantly. It works great on aiptasia but like anything else sometimes it comes back sometimes it dosnt but I never have to move rock or try to cover it with kalk or so much as put my hand in the water.

This is the best place to get the really high powered lasers. Stupid expensive ~ $1200, but I was lucky enough to get a friend to buy it, he played with it for a week got bored with it and just lets me keep it and use it.

http://www.survivallaser.com/storepage571758.aspx

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
O.O what????? $1200 that's insane!!!!! Does it come with a 24k gold case or what? You have a nice friend, think he wants play and get bored with another one? Lol