starting over

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I'm starting to think about keeping my 120 and replacing my 75. It had live rock and live sand and it has cyano not a fan don't want it and these polyps see pic. Now I found a worm in the rock that looked like an earth worm but squished red.along with a flat worm treatment box in the box of stuff that came with the tank so I put that in the water. Also a aiptasia box which the guy said he use to have a problem. So should I keep the live rock and sand or kill it off and start fresh? Also what kind of refugium do you recommend and return pump? I'm not going to rush this so I have time to buy equipment

View attachment 8367

View attachment 8368

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Flat earth worm, bristle worm. Keep the live stuff or start over, your choice. You'll have to rinse the sand and maybe boil the rock, which would effectively kill everything and you'd be starting over.

Sent using Forum Runner

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
are you just trying to kill the polyps? Bring you salinity over 2 and poof everything dead ,you will keep a lot of your good stuff in the water and rock thought, you can't remove cyano btw everyone has it you starve it via nutrient removal and water changes

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The bristle worms may live through it your best bet is to make it happen fast so the organisms don't have a chance to addapt keep it that way for a month or soo before you bring it down1.025

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The bristle worms may live through it your best bet is to make it happen fast so the organisms don't have a chance to addapt keep it that way for a month or soo before you bring it down1.025 .this is called hypo-salinity it will also kill any ich in the tank .if you do too large of a change(which is what you want to do) will kill almost everything. Enjoy

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;181417 said:
maybe boil the rock, which would effectively kill everything and you'd be starting over.

Sent using Forum Runner
I would not do this if there are pallys on the rock you could get poisoned. Do a google search on pally toxin and I think that will change your mind. I would set the rock outside and let it dry for a few weeks then pressure wash the rock.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree. Don't be in the area when you boil it. Do it outside and keep people and pets away. I boiled some of mine on the BBQ and then cooked it in the BBQ on the opposite side of the flames for a half hour at 600°… wasn't anything on or in it afterwards. Worked well.

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
WatercolorsGuy;181517 said:
I agree. Don't be in the area when you boil it. Do it outside and keep people and pets away. I boiled some of mine on the BBQ and then cooked it in the BBQ on the opposite side of the flames for a half hour at 600°… wasn't anything on or in it afterwards. Worked well.
To be your niebor and watch you bbq'ing rocks lmao

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, I'm going to follow Evans steps do I can kill all mine before I build the new tank. I don't want any stinking pests. Lol

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Would soaking rock in a bucket with white vinegar work? Just wondering what you guys think. I pulled some big bristle worms out with a water change, the water sat for 2 days at room temperature- went to dump it out and they were still alive. I was so impressed I put them back in the refugium.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've had those darn worms live through 10 mins in CLR!!! One was in a crevasse of a koralia, and I dipped it in 50% CLR for about 10 mins and rinsed it. I set it on the counter to dry and it came crawling out!!