storing copepods amphipods in the fridge???

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I ordered the BOGO copepods & amphipods from reef2go, and I over ordered because the shipping was the kicker. So my question is, can I store these in the fridge. I know the LFS routinely store the copepods in the fridge, but there are a lot of the amphipods in with these so are those ok in the fridge. How long can these last?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stores put pods in the fridge because those are typically Tigger pods, which are a cold water species.

The pods from reefs2go thrive in warmer waters, which means they can multiply in your reef, if given a chance (ample hiding, a reasonable number of predators, or a refugium).

The pods won't do well in the fridge. I've had a package delay from reefs2go in winter, and the temp dropped to about 62 degrees in the package. They survived...but were sluggish until I floated the bag, then they bounced back to life. I've also put chaeto in the fridge to kill any potential hitchhikers...a few pods survived overnight, but most were floaters the next day.

I don't think that you'd want to put them in the fridge long term, if at all.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Id like to point out that "Tigger Pods" is a brand name and not an actual species of pods. These are copepods and Im pretty sure any copepods can be stored in a cool location. Amphipods however cannot be, they are a warm water species for sure and cannot handle the cool down, they will die.

I personally would seed the hek out of my tank and fuge. create a pod hotel (rubble rock all piled up in the corner of your fuge), they will dwell here, then when you need a fresh supply in your tank drop a couple rocks from the pod hotel in the tank, this will keep the tank supplied. When you go to change the pod rocks, take the old ones out fo the tank, return to the fuge and add new rocks from the pod hotel.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: storing copepods amphipods in the fridge???

yea sorry... should've made the distinction that I was referring to amphipods after my first "paragraph"

Edit: interestingly enough...I just found this link regarding the rumor about Tigger pods not being viable and multiplying in our reefs:

http://www.reefnutrition.com/tigger_pods_faq.php

Sorry about this misinformation regarding those...I was actually told that "myth" by a reputable employee at one of our sponsor's stores. Seems like copepods should be OK in the fridge...I know from experience that amphipods definitely didn't take well to refrigeration though.