Sump location

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone running a remote sump?

I have a new tank going in, on my first floor, I think I want to locate my sump in the basement. Make it super easy for water changes and ATO. Any reason NOT to do this?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I happen to have a Pan World 50PX-X Magnetic Water Pump. Display tank is 75 gallon, sump maybe 40.

•Max Flow: 1110gph
•Max Head: 13ft

Would that be enough?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Agree with Seth, as long as added cost to plumb and any house modifications you need to do are not a barrier than it's a way better way to have a setup. Seems you'd need more than 13 feet to get to the top of the tank, from the bottom of the basement? If not, and if you're not trying to achieve any display tank flow/circulation using the return pump (since at max head the flow would be a lot lower), then that pump probably work.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
We do. It's amazing. Do it. You won't regret it. 10 min water changes. Clean electrical look. Quiet operation. Ability to have a HUGE sump. Spills don't cause problems.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm thinking the sump would be on a stand in the basement, so I have about 6 feet of head room to travel there, then another 5 feet for the display tank, from the floor to the top of the tank. I'd have two Tunze pumps in the display tank for additional flow.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
don't forget that every elbow, union, etc adds head. I am by no means an expert but I think you are pushing it with that pump. Maybe mike, cindy or craig will chime in with an opinion. They all have basement sumps. Following along for my own build for sure.

algaeman

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most big pumps will have a head/flow chart available from the vendor. If you calculate your head loss from jahmic's link above, you will be able to match that on the flow chart to get an estimate of your flow rate. Most pumps get very piddly flows near the top of their head loss range. Some are designed for "high pressure" flow (aka high head lossses).

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
We use one that's a variable powered pump. Reeflo Hammerhead. Mike will prolly chime in later about it. I'm no expert. When he recommends something, I just nod my head and say, "Yessir. If you say so."

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can anyone answer what ideal flow rates are on a reef tank?

I see 10x 20x and upto 50x?

Also, does your poweheads work into that number?

Simple example: So if I have a 75 gallon tank, and want 20x. I'm at 1500GPH. If I have a 1000GPH pump (which includes head loss, bends, etc) and 2 250GPH powerheads, am I good?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
you want to cycle at least 5x the volume of your tank every hour for return pump. Intank flow i like to have about 1500-2000gph of flow with koralias or votrecs

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Sump location

Don't try to depend on return pump for flow.....thats what powerheads are for. Use flex spa pipe as much as possible to alleviate any loss from elbows and such. 10x turnover is about what you want for return.

Sent from my C771

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any issue with using flexible vinyl tubing for return and drain lines from 1st floor to basement? I have 2 - 1" ID drains, and 1 - 3/4" ID return. I plan on using the proper plastic hose clamps as well. It would greatly simplify my plumbing job.