Think my Tang is eating polyps?

I just noticed that overnight, after months of owning it that my birdsnest, which was so full and beautiful had half of the polyps gone today when I got home ? I saw the blue tang nipping at it. I know he just started but don't know if that's what caused it.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've never seen a tang nip at coral, but if something damaged it and allowed algae to grow on part of it, I could definitely see some collateral damage to the coral colony while the tang eats the algae.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Blue hippos are notorious for one day up and deciding they are hungry for polyps. I have seen several people on out forum loose hundreds of polyps literally over night. Might be time to re- home the hippo unfortunately or decode you aren't going to keep zoas any more :(

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Doh I re-read and saw you were talking sps polyps, sorry. On that note I would agree could be coincidental and the tang was picking at algae

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know of a few very reliable source that have witnessed/reported hippo tangs and even Powder Blues suddenly developing a taste for corals. However in the cases I heard of it was LPS and Softies not SPS but I suppose its possible.

What we all think we know about this hobby is largley based on what is typical observed but as anyone knows thats been in the hobby for more than a couple years, mother nature will bend the "rules" as she sees fit.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My mature hippo tang developed a taste for zoas. Never heard of them picking at sps, doesn't mean it doesn't happen though

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Like Chad and Ric have stated, we have a number of tanks that have Zoa and Paly eating blue hippos, but have not experienced them eating SPS.

Thats the thing about SPS, they grow so nice for so long and then overnight they break your heart.