Tiny Bubbles...

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
[video=youtube;_MXgc8wzfC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MXgc8wzfC4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I've been having a micro bubble issue since starting the new tank. At first, I thought it was the slime coat on my piping, from the looks of the clear piping it's not that. I tightened the connections to be sure it wasn't them, reduced the amount of bubbles. I then put some filter floss between the baffles, reduced the bubbles. I keep the sump level high. More bubbles keep appearing! I've tightened all the connections I can to the point that I think the pvc might break if I tighten any more. The only "fishy" thing I found was salt creep on the loc-line on the return. Could that be the source? How would I fix that?
Crappy phone pic. View attachment 6000

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking at that power head makes me wonder if its like that vortex we saw in mine tonight.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;155143 said:
Looking at that power head makes me wonder if its like that vortex we saw in mine tonight.

Not that I see. The return occasionally makes one, but that's my fault. Do you see the white specks in the first pic?

Here's a shot of the return.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe its placement of return in relation to a ph I had that happen before. Just my guess but I could look tomorrow. It's least I can do after helping with those rocking reflectors tonight. :)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;155149 said:
Maybe its placement of return in relation to a ph I had that happen before. Just my guess but I could look tomorrow. It's least I can do after helping with those rocking reflectors tonight. :)

You sir, need to do a build thread

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Adjust that return let it run for couple hours and see if it fixes problem think because its a cube that's the problem. What build thread got nothing left other than led and that dang expensive orange passion.lol. can't wait for pay day

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;155155 said:
Adjust that return let it run for couple hours and see if it fixes problem think because its a cube that's the problem. What build thread got nothing left other than led and that dang expensive orange passion.lol. can't wait for pay day

Well, I'm debating putting aquamend around the loc-line. I messed with the return and it seems to be worse.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Point return to complete left have it almost bounce off glass where its coming out from. Pics brah lol

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;155157 said:
Point return to complete left have it almost bounce off glass where its coming out from. Pics brah lol

Having different issues in my cube...but just tried this little tip and solved the flow issues I was having in my tank. Like 3 birds one stone, lol

Thanks for that post ;)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;155157 said:

I need more loc-line...time to go shopping!

aztecdreams;155161 said:
I have found that tiny bubbles are mainly caused by 2 things. Pump cavitation and a leak in the return side of plumbing
Pump cavitation? That's not good at all! I'll try and find a different pump I can swap out...anyone selling a ~900gph pump? Nothing shows leaks (I know I can't see microscopic ones, I'll tighten again to make sure), besides the loc-line.

Maybe I'm too fixated on the loc-line though?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Always help when I can. Wish I had forums when I started boy would have saved me some headaches

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
At least the frag rack looks sweet! Lol

Good luck with the bubbles. It sounds like your sucking air from somewhere. Or, is your bubble trap working for your skimmer?

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Could be a return rate issue, if the water is moving through the sump very quickly bubbles stay suspended due to the over flow action of the baffles.
I use bio balls in the return chamber, they do so much, protect the pump, bio surface, slow the decent of the water, and they filter a good amount of the micro bubbles as well.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
try putting silicone around the joints of the locline. If the bubbles decrease, that's your problem.
If the bubbles don't decrease then it's elsewhere but you'll be able to peel the silicone off the locline later.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
michael.lemke;155225 said:
At least the frag rack looks sweet! Lol

Good luck with the bubbles. It sounds like your sucking air from somewhere. Or, is your bubble trap working for your skimmer?
The rack is sweet, thanks!

Wicked Demon;155231 said:
Could be a return rate issue, if the water is moving through the sump very quickly bubbles stay suspended due to the over flow action of the baffles.
I use bio balls in the return chamber, they do so much, protect the pump, bio surface, slow the decent of the water, and they filter a good amount of the micro bubbles as well.
I'll try that.

Zooid;155234 said:
try putting silicone around the joints of the locline. If the bubbles decrease, that's your problem.
If the bubbles don't decrease then it's elsewhere but you'll be able to peel the silicone off the locline later.
I'll also try this.

Thanks for helping guys

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another thing that happens in my tank is that my korelias always make the bubble problem worse. If I ever get air in my tank I shut off all power heads for 10 to 15 minutes to let the air bubble rise to the top of the tank.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a micro bubble problem, then I realized it was the water level in my sump. I had plenty of water for the pump but the water was water falling about an inch after the final baffle. I keep my water line just above the baffle now and no bubbles make it through the trap. Doubt this is your problem, but it is an obvious fix if it is :)