Black box mods?

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello, I am considering possible modifications to my black box lights. I have these lights:
Check this out at Amazon.com
Galaxyhydro WiFi & Manual Control 55×3w Dimmable 165w LED Aquarium Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NNDHVCG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_CduXBb2QAKXSG

I am looking into removing the lenses and maybe adding some type of a light diffuser. Currently, the colors do not blend very well. I can see blue, red, green on the sand bed. I have read some info on the national forums, but wondering if anyone here has experience with doing black box mods. Any recommendations?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I haven't modded them before but the lens are what gives it penetration into the water. I would think removing the lens would make the par value drop pretty dramatically from the top of the water to the sandbed. The diffusser certainly could help blend them together. but you could also just add a fill light or two. Maybe 2 t5 bulbs or something?

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good point about the par decrease. I'll have to check into that. Trying to avoid supplemental lights because I don't have a canopy and I like the open top feel.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A diffuser would be better than removing the lenses entirely, but both will result in a loss of par that you would need to make up for by increasing the intensity and/or the lighting hours.

You could also consider replacing the lenses with wider angle ones. If you do so, 100 degrees is the widest you should consider on any light.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app